Chapter 18

A/N: One of my favorite characters from Deep Space Nine is Garak. I've always enjoyed the gall he shows. I think we were able to capture his character in this chapter. At any rate, it was fun to write.

As usual, we don't own any of the franchises mentioned in this story. Please review!

Chapter 18

Picard, Sheppard, and Teyla flashed into the control room of Todd's hive. Sheppard glanced around, then looked his friend in the eye and said, "I've got to admit, Todd, I never expected to see you again."

"For a long time, I felt the same way about you, John Sheppard, but then, when I heard that the Iconians had arrived, I hoped we would get the opportunity to fight side by side again."

"It is good to see you again, Todd," Teyla told the Wraith. "Where is Jardis? "

"You as well, Teyla," Todd said, smiling as warmly as a Wraith could. "Jardis is on Cardassia Prime. She appears as a normal Cardassian right now, and is... How is it said in your culture? Paving the way for our arrival."

Todd turned to face Picard. "Welcome back, Merlin."

Picard accepted the name gracefully, but he had a question for Todd. "This is a hive ship. Is it full of Wraith?"

"As I've said before, you are quick, Picard. Yes, the hibernation chambers are full, but not of Wraith that will feed on humans. The people in the chambers are pre-Cardassians. Post-Wraith."

"So why are they in hibernation, Todd?" Sheppard asked.

"They have been in hibernation since we dropped out of the time jump. It was around seventy-five thousand years ago that we appeared. Several of my people were not on hives, but in cruisers, so they had limited hibernation equipment on board. They settled on Cardassia Prime. Once they were established and were building a civilization, Jardis and I joined them. At first, we played the part of travellers, going from town to town, observing the culture our people were developing.

"I left my hive in orbit to protect the developing civilization, should the need arise. Eventually, the ship became just a legend. It was a story told to children at night." He laughed before continuing, "It is interesting how quickly people forget about legends. Those stories that used to thrill, eventually become mundane. We watched it happen to our own legacies." He looked Teyla in the eye and asked, "Do you know how we are depicted in Cardassian culture? What they think we look like?"

She shook her head.

Todd was clearly disgusted as he told them. "I look like a normal Cardassian, complete with slicked back, black hair. I couldn't look more different than that. Jardis is usually pictured with pigtails. Pigtails! Can you imagine?"

Teyla thought of Jardis, whose hair was actually, deep red, almost to the point of being purple. She wore it very long and straight. "You are right," she conceded, "but how is that relevant to why we are here?"

Todd shook his head and answered, frustrated. "It's not, but I haven't been able to complain to anyone but Jardis for a long time."

"Well," Sheppard said, matter of factly, "now you have."

Todd looked at Sheppard for a long moment, then threw back his head and laughed. "You're right, John Sheppard, now I have." He laughed heartily, then wiped his eyes as he sat down on a ledge on one side of the room. Other than the throne, there were no chairs on a hive ship, but the other three found places to sit as well.

Picard watched as Todd wiped his eyes, and wondered idly if Wraith had tear ducts. He refrained from asking that question in favor of a different one, however. "What is happening on Cardassia Prime, Todd?"