Chapter 12

Again, we do not own Trek, Stargate, Eureka, BSG, or Dr. Who. Just fans.

Chapter 12

The four ships, Enterprise-DO'NeillDaniel Jackson, and Nathan Stark dropped out of warp. The planet they were orbiting was a class Y planet - usually referred to as Demon Class. The ship they had come to find was buried beneath a lava flow that had been cooled for millenia. Most of the ship had been destroyed when the lava enveloped it, but certain parts had survived the encasing process.

Nathan Stark was the only ship designed to handle the corrosive atmosphere, plus the low altitude winds, without any problems, so it dove low over the surface and obtained detailed scans of the remains of the fully automated vessel. Once that was done, the scans were transferred to the Daniel Jackson to be examined.

Several people were seated around the Jackson's conference table. Eli Wallace, as the ship's commander, sat at the head of the table. The ship was actually Thor's science vessel while the O'Neill was his battleship. Eli was regularly the first officer, but in this case, he commanded because Thor had O'Neill.

Eli and Samantha had examined most of the scans. They had also gone to Hermiod and Wesley on board Enterprise, and they had poured over them.

"The ship is buried under about a thousand feet of lava flow," Sam explained. "The Stark had to make several passes over the area to get a complete scan. The ship is broken into several pieces, whether by the action of the lava, or the crash, we don't know."

Eli spoke up now. "We think that the best way to continue our scan is to transport the debris out of the lava flow to the cargo bay of one of our ships, preferably Enterprise."

"Excuse me," Jack O'Neill interjected, "but we already have pieces of the Earth Outpost in the cargo holds. How are we supposed to beam the pieces of this ship up?"

Hermiod stared at O'Neill for a long moment, until the human couldn't take it anymore. "What?" Jack asked, self conscious of the Asgard's scrutiny.

"Obviously, we will need to hold the pieces in the computer pattern buffers. We can use this to reproduce them with the holo-emitters. If we need to physically test any piece, we can use the holodeck replication technology. The will be no problems, General," the Asgard explained, exuding an air of extreme patience.

"Oh, "Jack said, "that makes sense, I suppose." Somehow, Hermiod managed to convey the same arrogance in his more humanlike body as he did when he was a Grey, and Jack was trying to avoid being on the receiving end of any more of it.

Riker was somewhat dubious, but he decided to trust his science officer. Hermiod hadn't been on Enterprise for long, but from what the Captain had seen, he was well deserving of trust. Arrangements were made to transport the mining ship into the computer's memory, and on the next pass over the lava field, Enterprise was placed in stationary orbit. Then the transporter officer went to work. There was much more to this type of operation than simply sliding three controls. For the operation to be successful, pinpoint accuracy was required of both the computer and officer. Miles O'Brien, the Enterprise transporter chief, was one of the few people with the ability to pull off such a stunt.

Riker was standing beside the transporter console, watching the talented O'Brien as his fingers were moving deftly across the controls. Miles had written a program which would transport up only the material of the ship. Any rock from the lava flows would be left behind. Riker watched as the air above the platform shimmered momentarily then stopped, then the process started again. O'Brien was bringing the matter stream to the ship where he scanned it at a low level of integration, then sent the rock back to the planet, and stored the fragments in the ship's memory. The process took the better part of an hour for even O'Brien to accomplish. For a few moments, the Iconian twins stepped into the room, and Scotty nodded approvingly at what the Starfleet man was doing. When they left, Scotty commented to Geordie, "That lad's impressive at the transporter controls. Why do ye suppose Captain Picard allowed him to go to DS-9? I would'a fought tooth n' nail to keep him on my ship."