Chapter 6

A/N: We would like to thank our Beta Reader for all of her hard work, and for stepping up to the plate when our previous Beta Reader could not continue.

Standard Disclaimer: We do not own Eureka, Stargate, or Star Trek. Just fans!

Please Review.

Chapter 6

It had been five years since the Iconians arrived in the Federation's time period, and it was now decided that the time had come for the iconians to join the United Federation of Planets. This union would be a tricky one to manage, however, as the Alliance contained several people who also existed in the Federation, but at different periods in their lives.

Picard was sitting in his ready room when there was a door chime. He put down his cup of Earl Grey and looked up from his screen. "Come," he announced. Rather than the door opening, however, the room lit up and Daniel Jackson flashed into being, sitting relaxed on Picard's sofa, legs crossed, and an arm around Vala, who flashed in beside him.

"Daniel! Vala! Good to see you both! I'm not sure I will ever get used to the way you arrive, however," he said smiling.

"Good to see you too, Jean Luc," Daniel said.

"Oh, you'll get used to it," Vala said.

Picard shook his head. In all the time I've dealt with Janus, I am still not used to his comings and goings. I'm afraid I'm just old fashioned in my way of thinking."

"Well," Daniel said, "we'd like to discuss something with you." Picard looked curious and Jackson went on. "The Iconian Alliance has decided to join the Federation. Ambassador Spock, Jade, and Nefreyu are working out the details of the treaty as we speak."

"That's wonderful news," Picard exclaimed.

"Yes, but we have some things to tell you which you may find disturbing," Vala said.

"And what might that be?"

"Well," Daniel said hesitantly, "it might be easier to show you."

Picard watched as another person flashed into the room. He had thought he was prepared for just about anything the Q could throw at him, but this surprised him. He was quite satisfied that he didn't react, but it took all of his self control to keep the astonishment from showing on his face. The newly arrived Picard held out his hand to him and announced, "I am Merlin." Picard looked at the outstretched hand and then back at the duplicate standing in front of his desk.

"Is this some sort of a joke?" he asked, scowling.

"I assure you, it is no joke," Merlin said.

"I am assuming that this is what you couldn't tell me about my future five years ago," Picard said to Daniel.

"No, actually telling you this wouldn't have had too much of an adverse effect on the universe in general," Jackson answered. "There are other things you still can't know."

Merlin still had his hand stretched out over the desk. "Would it hurt you to shake my hand, Jean Luc?"

Slowly the starship commander stood up, reached out, and grasped the hand of his future self. He stood appraising the Q. After a moment of looking him up and down, he indicated the chair in front of the desk. "Please have a seat."

Merlin nodded and seated himself. Picard did the same and they sat regarding each other for a long moment.

"How do I become Q? "

"You understand that I cannot tell you that," Merlin said.

"Yes, but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it?" Picard responded.