Chapter 16

A/N: We do not own the franchises represented here. Please review!

Chapter 16

Vala let go of Teal'c's hand and sat down on the sofa. "That was a rush," she said.

Karl and Ca'Ra were confused, but Daniel explained. "Teal'c took her to the past. By Vala travelling to the past and fulfilling those events, I now have the knowledge of what happened in Caprica City."

"You mean they just travelled into the past? Right now?" Karl asked.

"Yes," Daniel affirmed, "the Q can accomplish things like that seamlessly. Your mother just lived the almost seven years she spent on Caprica."

Karl looked confused, but Ca'Ra explained further. "Mom now knows everything that happened when we were kids, because for her, it just happened."

Karl had tears in his eyes. Ca'Ra had heard the story from Ca'Rel, but Karl said, "We never knew what happened to you after D'Anna took us away. We were told that you were killed, but…" He broke off.

Vala and Daniel were both unable to speak, so Merlin explained. "Your mother is an Ascended, as is your future self and Ca'Ra. As such, she was able to protect your father when he was shot. Teal'c then helped your father to ascend, which left him immune to the effects of a blaster on his body. Lucifer, John Cavil, failed in his attempt at killing both of your parents."

"So how come they let D'Anna take us away?" Karl asked. "She actually adopted us."

"If we had remained," Daniel explained, "Cavil would have attempted to kill you both since he was unsuccessful with us. It was safer to have him believe he had succeeded in killing us."

"True," Ca'Ra agreed, "but it also had the unfortunate effect of making us grow up without parents."

Vala's eyes were bright as she nodded. "I'm so sorry for that. My own father disappeared frequently, but he always came back. I can't even imagine what you went through thinking we were dead."

Karl stood up, and said, "Excuse me, please," and left the room.

Daniel and Vala turned to Ca'Rel who simply said, "He just needs some air."

On Enterprise D…

Will Riker stood before the visiting officer's quarters, and pressed the door chime. The door slid open and Riker stepped into the room. A dark skinned man in his mid thirties sat on the sofa. He put down the pad he had been reviewing and stood.

"Welcome to the Enterprise, Commander," Riker said holding out his hand.

"Thank you, Sir," Benjamin Sisko said, shaking his hand.

"Admiral Picard has asked that we join him in the briefing room to discuss your mission," Riker continued, smiling genially.

At the mention of Picard's name, however, the returned smile on Sisko's face froze and slowly faded. His entire demeanor became stiff and he asked, "Sir, is that really necessary?"

Riker withdrew his hand and stood up straight. He was a good three inches taller than Sisko, and now used his height to reinforce his authority. "If the Admiral says it's necessary, then it is. You have a problem with that, Commander?"

"Permission to speak freely, Sir?" Sisko said, snapping to attention.

Riker eyed him for a long moment, then said, "Granted."

"My wife was on Saratoga when it was destroyed, as were many of my friends. I know that the Admiral is not responsible for what happened, Sir. It's just that…."