Chapter 4

A/N: We do not own any of the franchises mentioned in this story but do enjoy writing about them. Please review!

Chapter 4

They arrived in an area of the sphere that was lush farmland, not unlike the area on Earth in which Kirk had grown up. All around were corn fields, and in the distance, Kirk saw what could only be a barn, complete with red paint. The only odd thing was the horizon. Instead of dropping off after a few miles, it went on and on until it eventually came to some mountains in the distance, but he could see beyond them, and there appeared to be an endless sea on the other side. It was disorienting.

Finally, Kirk focused on the people facing them. Even though they were about twenty feet away. He recognized them, and that was also disturbing.

"Jean Luc," he said. It was definitely Jean Luc Picard, standing beside his auburn haired doctor, Beverly Crusher, and another man that, while Kirk had never met him, he recognized him immediately from records of theEnterprise-D as Q.

"That is a name I haven't gone by in a long time," his great-grandson said. "I actually go more by Merlin, now."

Kirk nodded, but McCoy seemed confused. Spock was paying close attention to what was being said.

"I understand, Merlin," Kirk said, trying the name out for himself. "It just doesn't seem to fit you."

"Oh, you get used to it," Q said.

Kirk's expression tried to turn sour, and he struggled to keep it neutral. "You are Janus, correct?"

"Guilty as charged," Q confirmed. "However, I must point out that I'm a bit older than when I used to pester Merlin here."

Finally, it was too much for McCoy. "What is going on here? How are Picard and Crusher on this sphere?"

"Sarah?" Merlin requested. "Would you please transport us to the Camelot conference room?"

In response, all six people dematerialized from the corn field. They rematerialized in a conference room, of similar design to the one on board Enterprise-D.

"Please be seated," Merlin invited. When they had all taken chairs, he began. "You, of course recognize that I am Jean Luc Picard, or rather, long ago, I was Jean Luc Picard, just as my wife, Che Ryl, was Beverly Crusher. We have invited you three here today, because you will understand the necessity of keeping our existence on the sphere a secret."

He looked at Janus, who nodded solemnly. When he looked back at Kirk, his expression was one of determination. "Admiral, you of all people know that what I'm saying is the truth. You feel it."

"Yes," Kirk said flashing a look at McCoy which said not to challenge him.

McCoy ignored the look, as Kirk knew he would. "Shall we call Valhalla and book a room?" he asked.

"Actually," Janus said, "The Valhalla is full, and still out with Picard and Thor."

Che Ryl ried to stifle a laugh. "The Valhalla is a ship carrying refugees," she explained. McCoy just glared.

"Merlin," Spock said, "When you say 'long ago you were Jean Luc Picard,' how long ago do you mean?"

The wizard smiled, and answered. "Before the three hundred millennia I just lived through, waiting for our people to arrive, I was well over fifty million years old."

"So you have been living in the past. How much have you changed what was supposed to occur?"

"Ambassador Spock, I give you my word that nothing that was supposed to happen has changed. The Q who became Alterans and later Iconians, have been very careful in this regard."