Chapter 19

A/N We don't own the franchises in this story. Please review

Chapter 19

Kirk, Spock, and Picard completed their tour of the Promenade, then went to Picard's command suite. Once there, Picard contacted Kira, Dax and O'Brien and asked that they join them.

While they waited, he established a link with Spock and together they searched through Garak's past. What they found was extraordinary. Garak had been born to parents who were loyal to Todd. In fact, they had known Todd quite well, and the young Garak had grown up with a crush on Jardis. Of course, his family knew nothing of what Todd and Jardis actually looked like.

Finally, the three from DS9 arrived and Picard filled them in on what they had learned.

"Apparently, the Obsidian Order is loyal to Todd," he explained. "When Todd saw the likelihood of the Cardassians losing control of Bajor, he made sure a member of the order was placed here. He knew I had command over the Federation in this sector, and made sure his operative would contact me. Garak has done so, and will remain here to help in whatever capacity he can.

"So," Kira commented, amazed, "Garak really is in the Obsidian Order. I've heard the rumor for years, but never believed it."

"Sometimes, Major," Spock said solemnly, "admitting the truth, but in an unbelievable manner, is the best cover one can wish for. On Earth, there was a secret base called Area 51, where the United States military studied extraterrestrial technology. The government allowed the information to leak, but in a way which ridiculed the idea. Because of this, the few who actually believed the truth were labelled as either conspiracy theorists, or, I believe the technical term is, wackos."

Kira laughed at the Vulcan's way of telling a joke, while maintaining complete solemnity. "Yes, Ambassador, the same was done here. Mr. Garak has never denied his involvement with the order, but he has always made it seem absolutely ridiculous that he could be a member."

"Of course," Kirk commented, "his ridiculing of the possibility makes it seem more like he is a member."

"Which," Kira continued, "makes you step back and reassess everything. It's a vicious circle."

"Which is why it is such an effective method of disinformation," Spock said.

"If Garak is here to help," O'Brien said, "what has he said about the ships holding us here?"

"Are you getting impatient for action, Mr. O'Brien?" Kirk asked, remembering himself at the chief's age.

"It just seems like we should be doing something, Sir. No offense."

"I doubt the Admiral will take offense, Mr. O'Brien. He has been a man of action his entire life. For him to take offense at your desiring action would be to take offense at himself."

Kirk gave Spock a dirty look, and told him, "I can answer for myself, Spock."

"Of course, Admiral. I didn't mean to imply otherwise."

Kirk looked at his friend suspiciously for another moment, then back at O'Brien. "I'm getting tired of them sitting on our doorstep too, Chief. Let's see if we can do something about that." He tipped his chin up a bit and spoke into thin air. "Sarah?"

"I'm here, Admiral. What can I do for you?" came a feminine voice from nowhere.

Inform Thor and General O'Neill that I have a job for them, then transport them and their ships to Deep Space Nine. I would like them to instill a little bit of fear into some Cardassians who are stubbornly maintaining station here. Send Prometheus as well.