Break My Heart Again

Break My Heart Again by FINNEAS

——

Y/N's POV

The drive to the precinct was dead silent. None of us bothered to speak a word but the unspoken words swarming us was deafening. At least for me it was. All I wanted was to talk to her. Make her feel better. It's all I've ever wanted. But, it was like when I take ten steps forward, it pushes me twenty steps back. I can't get through her. She won't let me in.

Lizzie wasted no time before running forward to the entrance of the 34th Precinct. I follow right behind her, a little hesitant about whether I should even be here. I observe as she talks to one of the sergeants from the reception desk. The man points to the corridor to his left, giving Lizzie directions. Without hesitation, she disappears into the hallway, leaving me in the waiting area. I slowly made my way in one of the vacant chairs, resting my elbows against my knees.

My mind starts to wander off. I began to think of what they could be doing in the other room. The stinging pain stirring inside of my chest is causing me to overthink. The touch and contact I crave, he's probably having. My legs start to tremble, my fear and self doubt are getting the best of me. It's not like I was allowing them to win against me. I simply could not gain any type of control.

For what seemed like forever waiting for her, Lizzie comes back with tears streaming down her face. The sight of her this way breaks my heart. I can't stand witnessing her this way. As if my body knew what to do, I ran toward her, cupping her face almost instantly. Lizzie breaks down in my touch, and I cry with her.

"Is everything okay?" I start, wiping a few of her tears away.

Lizzie sobs aggressively, "I can't bail him out today. I have to wait three days before I can do anything. He looks so miserable in there and I want nothing more than to get him out. I don't like seeing him the way that I did." She cries harder, her tears falling against my palm.

"Oh, Lizzie, I'm sorry." I embraced her as gently as I could.

Nothing hurts more than feeling her broken sobs. It's obvious that Lizzie is trying to fight it but she's drowning in her own emotions.

"It hurts watching the love of my life isolated from everyone. I feel so helpless not being able to do anything." Lizzie grips on my shirt tightly, letting herself break in front of me.

I push my feelings aside, completely neglecting the fact that I'm also breaking with the way she's talking about Robbie. But, it's not about me today. Fuck my feelings. All I care about is hers. I'm willing to break my own in the process of making her feel better.

"Hey, why don't you take a seat while I grab you something to drink?" I led Lizzie to sit down. She complies, not uttering any word. I look at her for a quick second before disappearing into the break room.

I pull out my one dollar bill into the vending machine, waiting for the water to disperse from the chute.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?"

I turn around seeing my ex-girlfriend Margot approaching me. I haven't seen her since we broke up three years ago. It was the first relationship I ever had, and unfortunately for us, we had to end it because she had to move across the country to pursue her career in the police force. The breakup was amicable and we both agreed that it was what's best for us.

"I came here with a friend.." I trail off. "Since when did you come back?"

"My unit is on rotation, so they assigned me here. It's been a while since we last spoke. How are you doing? Did you ever get to be a DJ at Club Echo? I know how much you've wanted to work there for the longest." Margot threw a handful of questions with a smile on her face.