Epilogue <> Guilty As Charged

|<>|

Mountain Elm has always been a refuge for me

Mountain Elm has always been a refuge for me. It's my turf, my home, my family and friends. The people are welcoming and warm; the college practically running itself. And the campus itself is a stunning display of modern meeting old school. Stone balconies off the edge of double doors and walls made of windows combine to make a beautiful structure that you only have to look into to see the process of learning and living within the school.

Paths all around campus intertwine and intersect, elm trees lining each of the cobblestone ways. Golden leaves swirl around in the fall breeze, creating a gorgeous display of elegance and grace in the change of seasons.

Yes, I love amputation Elm in the fall. There's just something magical about it this time of year that has always drawn me to the learner's paradise.

Strolling down a path to the English building, I suddenly heard one of my names being called out from behind me.

"Dad!" Alex cried, running up to match my pace. We were both supposed to get to her crime fiction class early; Alex to introduce me and I to present the midterm I had labored over. She slowed down to catch her breath upon reaching me and I chuckled at her. Holding up a black leather folder that I knew all too well, she waggled it in the air - raising her eyebrows up and down for suspense. "I finished it." she squealed.

Impressed that she had finished the manuscript so quickly, I grinned. Taking the folder from her, I slipped it into my briefcase and snapped it shut.

Tugging at my turtleneck, I nodded to the case. "And?"

Her eyes dropped to the ground. With a grimace, she looped her arm into mine as we walked. "And... Well, uh..." she said slowly, trying to figure out what to say. Chewing the inside of her cheek, she finally spoke again. "Well, Dad, you know I love all of your books, right?"

Feeling it coming, I rolled my eyes. "Oh fuck no, but?" I muttered, waiting for the but to come. I could practically feel it in her voice. Glancing down at her, I noticed her frown.

"But... but..." she drawled. I poked her in the ribs to get her to continue. "Ow!" she exclaimed, jumping away a little and rubbing her side. "But-"

"You've already said that."

A frustrated grin passed her lips. "I will have to say that this one," she paused, closing he teus and leaning back. A smile formed on her face. "Is hands down my favorite."

I laughed, hugging her. Releasing my arm from her grasp, she gesticulated. "I loved it!" Alex exclaimed happily.

Stopping in my tracks, I turned to face her. "Honey, that is the best news I've had since last week when Tyler called to tell me you were safe," I murmured contentedly.

She leaned back, a smirk forming on her face. "Oh, we're calling him Tyler now, are we?" Smirking back at her, I inwardly cackled. We both knew why she was pushing on that particular notion. It was obvious that my daughter had taken an interest in the junior detective - whether she had figured that out yet or not.