5 <> Partners In Crime

|<>|

|<>|

I strolled along the paths of Mountain Elm, Leah by my side. This town kept interns on the clock just like regular detectives; I was almost as involved as I was in Chicago, and this was only my first week.

As of right now, Lee was on the phone with Gil discussing the plant theft. We were all pretty sure that it was insurance fraud, but there wasn't enough proof to arrest Professor Cox yet. Meanwhile, my loathing for the woman only grew.

Leah hung up the phone with a sigh, turning to me as we walked. "Security camera footage arrived from Professor Cox at Life Science, and guess who gets to go through it," Leah complained, jerking her thumbs towards herself in one exasperated motion.

"Took her sweet time on that, didn't she?" I grunted. Shaking my head, I continued to walk with her until hearing an all to familiar voice call out to us.

"Detective! Leah!" Alex Walker exclaimed. Leah and I halted.

Tilting my head back, I sighed. "Terrific," I muttered sarcastically. I inhaled deeply before turning around. "Professor!"

What? If she was going to title me with my career focus, there was no reason that I couldn't do the same thing.

She sauntered up to us, my beast buddy Zach in tow. Come on, man. Really?

"Did the president call their parents?" she inquired immediately upon reaching us. I put a hand up to stop her from speaking.

"Alright, you need to let me do my job," I snapped at her.

She smirked. "Happily, as soon as you start doing it."

I was done. Oh, I was so done with this. I smiled in pure vexation, stuffing my hands into my pockets. "Listen, I don't know who-," I fumed, but Leah cut me off by placing a hand on my shoulder.

She was on the phone again. Way to go, Lee. You're a big help.

Shit.

I raised my eyebrows at her, hoping that there was a reason for the interruption of my rant. Unfortunately, there was a big one. One that the amature before me had somehow predicted.

"Where's the body?" Leah asked the person on the other end. "Brenker Bluff. Got it." she hung up again, giving me that look.

"They found Nathan Hull."

I suddenly dropped my argument with Alex, placing a hand on Leah's back and ushering her towards my car.

This. Is. A. Nightmare.

|<>|