14 <> I'm Hot. Get Over It.

|<>|

|<>|

Cold air whipped around my face as I stood in front of the Life Science building. My hands jammed into the pockets of my jacket. I rolled back and forth on the balls of my feet as I waited for Gil, Leah, and Tyler to emerge.

Rather liking the feeling of the wind, I pulled my hair down and let the breeze run through it. Stretching the hair tie onto my wrist, I put my hands back into my pockets and resumed my position. I grew tired of that, and my hair fluttered behind me as I began to pace.

I heard the metallic click of the door opening, and whipped around to observe as the former two walked Professor Cox out in cuffs. She objected the entire way back to the cruiser.

"This is absurd! I was moving the plant before the cleaners came in. I did that weekly," she whined in her nasally voice. "You have absolutely no basis for this. You'll be hearing from my lawyer!"

Zach leaned in to whisper in my ear. "This is so cool. It's just like the first Axel Hendrix book. The victim is the culprit." I nodded, smiling politely. It was true, but the connection to one of Dad's books wasn't what I was focused on. My smile turned genuine as Tyler strode out after them, headed towards us instead of the cruiser.

He smiled as he approached me. "Gil made me, so I'm gonna go question her," he grimaced, still smiling a little bit despite his statement. I nodded, ecstatic that he had checked in with me.

"Okay," I said softly, wishing that he would stay. "Good luck, and," I congratulated him, speaking quickly as he began to turn away. He turned back, and raised his eyebrows for me to continue. "Congrats," I smiled, softly hitting him on the arm.

He smiled tensely. "Thanks," he replied, scratching his left temple. He faltered slightly. "I'll call you."

Taken by surprise, I stuttered, trying to formulate a response. He backtracked as I did so. "I mean," he stammered. "You know, I'll call about the... when I finish the confession... I'll call you later."

I waved my hands around in front of me. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay," I stammered back. Cute, Alex. Real cute.

He nodded, giving a small wave as he walked away. I turned to Zach, who stared at me with an amused expression on his face. He began to snicker, and I pushed him away; sending him stumbling off of the sidewalk as I went to class.

|<>|