dix-huit

act one, scene seventeen

we all have our first loves, the ones we demand we are going to spend the rest of our lives with, creating pinterest boards of what they could look like. we find ourselves falling for them, hard and fast, too blind to see the tear stained eyes waiting to pounce around the corner. y/n's first was jonathan schlatt at age fourteen.

he moved next door early on in her teenage years. y/n noticed him from the shouting of his parents. while she wasn't experienced with fighting parents as she only had one she knew it wasn't normal to have bruises after.

since that night y/n oathed to take observation on that family through their kid. she noticed how he was quiet and always alone, she noticed how he always wore long sleeves and often was drinking from his water bottle, although she wasn't sure if the liquid inside was water.

they first spoke inside a candy store y/n used to volunteer at. the boy dropped a pile of three musketeers on the counter. humming softly y/n began scanning the candy bars as jschlatt studied her.

"hey aren't you always the girl stalking me?" he accused.

y/n flushed, "m'sorry..i don't know what your talking about."

"no, you are!" he exclaimed, but not in an angry way, "now tell me..what's so interesting about me?"

"like i said i'm not stalking you," y/n rolled her eyes, "but maybe if i were it would be because your a cute boy."

he wiggled his eyebrows, "so you think i'm cute?"

"no!" y/n said a little to loudly, lowering her volume she continued now stuttering, "well not that your bad looking..your actually quite good looking..i just don't think..well maybe i do-"

"i'll summarize it for you, sweetheart," he said, brightening the color of her cheeks, "you find me attractive."

"well i suppose we both have our problems then," y/n glanced down at the counter, "i find an idiot like you attractive and you eat three musketeers."

"three musketeers are good!" he defended, before his lips melted into a smirk, "so you admit you find me attractive."

y/n threw the candy at his chest harshly, grumbling, "shut up."

"bye," he sang out.

"bye," she replied, "i won't miss you."

the teenager always found him coming back to the candy store even when his pantry was stocked full of candy bars.

several months after their meeting, when y/n was walking to her chem class she was pulled harshly from her stroll.

"hey-"

"shhh!" jschlatt hissed, "come on now."

he ran off, leaving y/n to chew her lip deciding wether or not to follow him. when she decided to go after him she did not know how much it would impact her life in the years to come.

he led her to the roof of the building where they smoked cigarettes.

"didn't know you were a smoker, candy girl," he said.

she wasn't.

y/n shrugged, "i love smoking, actually. and it's y/n by the way."

"y/n?" he repeated and she nodded, "nice name."

"so what's your name?" y/n questioned.

"thought you would know after all this stalking," he teased.

she remained silent, demanding an answer. he cringed, "johnathon."

"what's so bad about jonathan?"

"sounds like an old wrinkly man who eats kale at every meal."

y/n chuckled softly, "what about johnny?"

jschlatt thought on it before replying, "not half bad."

"fancy some candy?" he offered.

y/n shuddered, "not if it's three musketeers."

"aww you know me so well," he said, "but no actually it's gushers..your favorite."

"stalking me now, hmm?" y/n raised an eyebrow.

"what can i say," he shrugged, "cute girls stalk cute boys, cute boys stalk cute girls...so gushers?"

they chatted, sharing the 90s popular gummies when jschlatt commented, "you got some syrup on your lips."

y/n flushed, "oh..really?"

"let me get it," jschlatt said. but instead of wiping away the non existent contents, he kissed her. and she kissed him back.

two years after the exact date, september 8th, he left her heartbroken. he left l'manburg with no note, no goodbye.

when the pieces of y/n's heart were finally taped back together she swore to herself she would never allow him to enter her life again in fear her delicate heart would shatter.

that promise was broken on the same date several years after. after their kiss, after their demise.

stumbling into the living room, y/n scanned the room for wilbur. her eyes spotted him, but someone else next to him who made her go pale.

"johnny?"

he smirked, "nice of you to join us, y/n."