huit

act one, scene seven 

it was dream who came up with the tea.

"hey," he said softly.

"hi," y/n murmured, her voice dizzy with sleep.

"how are you feeling?"

y/n peeled open her eyes, "how do you think?"

"sorry," dream nodded, "you tired?"

"no," y/n said, groaning when her lie had fallen to its demise with her yawn that followed.

"you look tired," dream chuckled softly.

"m'not...need to get..home," her slurred words grew lost in another yawn.

"go to sleep, love. you can go home when you wake up."

"i told you to stop calling me that."

"do you not like it, love?" dream teased.

no response.

dream got up to leave, but his wrist was weighed down back to the chair beside her bead.

"stay," she demanded.

so he did. 

*** 

"do you know where dream is?" y/n asked terra, eating cookie dough on the kitchen counter. 

"in the library why?" 

"i want to thank him before i leave," y/n explained, fastening her scarf snug around her neck. 

"your leaving?!" terra exclaimed. 

"sorry kiddo," y/n nodded, "i gotta go home." 

"but i like you here," terra whined. 

"you'll be alright. and we'll see each other again," y/n stroked her hair, "you have my word."

"okay.." 

the library was as beautiful as all the other rooms of the castle, decorated finely with floating lanterns and bookshelves that reached the ceiling. in between the aisles there were long dark oak tables, dimly lit by candles. 

"woah.." y/n whispered. 

"like it?" dream smirked from behind. 

"yeah..it's beautiful." 

"we have books from all over history..jane austin, agatha christy, the first edition of the velveteen rabbit.."

"you have the first edition of the velveteen rabbit!?" y/n exclaimed, "that was my favorite book growing up. tec-er i would always read it before bed." 

"we have all books," dream shrugged, "take it." 

"are you serious?" y/n asked. 

"why not..a gift for your travels." 

for a moment y/n was lost in his eyes trying to scrub of the memory of how she first met him. while nothing came to her search of spying she had discovered dream might be a villain, but he was not a bad person. 

"shouldn't i be giving you the gifts?" y/n teased, "with your hospitality and all."

"there's one thing you can do." 

"oh yeah?" 

"terra..she needs someone other than her brother and his best friends. she seems to have taken quite a liking to you..maybe if it's not to much trouble you could come over every once in a while..but if it-" 

y/n planted her grip on the anxious boy's shoulders silencing his rant, "i owe you everything. of course i'll do that." 

y/n glanced out the window at the setting sky, "s'pose i should get going then." 

"yeah..s'pose you should." 

"bye then." 

"goodbye, love."