52 | With Passion

Start from the beginning

     "So you've heard of that too?" Max asks, and the three nod their heads as an answer.

     "We were all surprised because something like that never happened before, even in our houses. No one can just place a bomb on a brotherhood base and miraculously get away with it, especially in J.S High. It's definitely fishy. That's why we think that president Janus and the Brotherhood Association must have found who the real culprit is, but they're keeping quiet about it to keep the system going," Nox shares, suddenly making Nicolás hit his head.

     "This isn't the time to be making conspiracy theories Nox," he scolds. And then he leans close to Nox's ear and whispers to him, "And did you forget that president Janus is Max's uncle? You shouldn't be saying such things."

      Nox realizes that small fact and immediately covers his mouth from shock. But even though Nox didn't intentionally say it to offend Max in any way, Max narrows his eyes and contemplates what he said.

     Could he be right? Did his uncle Janus actually find the culprit but is keeping quiet about it?

     But for what reason? Why would he hide that from them?

     "Kingston! How many interviews are you going to take?" Everyone overhears Magnus ask as Kingston got inside the bus and sits beside Gengxin near the front.

     As soon as he sat down, a man in a black suit enters the bus holding a chart. He stands in the middle and starts taking the attendance to make sure that all the contestants are already inside the bus. Afterward, the driver arrives and they soon drive off.

     "Alright, as soon as we arrive at the location we will then attach your targets and hand you your high-tech paint gun. For those who won the advantage, your will receive your additional items afterward," the man explains.

     "Now let us discuss the rules. Except for those with the advantages, each gun has a total of twelve bullets. You can target anyone and anyone can target you. But no matter who targets you, if all four targets are shot, you are automatically out. The targets have sensors, so your name will be announced if you lose. You must leave the battleground as soon as you are called," the man explains, and everyone nods their head in understanding.

     "Everyone of you is allowed to utilize everything that can be found in the battleground, but you must not leave the borders. You may engage in physical combat, but it is highly encourage that you strategize instead of attacking heads on. Other than that, the main goal is to be the last man standing. There are twenty minutes before we arrive at the location, so you may rest by then," the man finishes before taking his seat as well.

     Max looks out of the window and takes a deep breath. He watches the cars driving past through them and starts counting until his eyes started becoming heavy.

     Max has been training for almost a month, but yesterday he did nothing else but rest like what BND instructed him to do. Others would have trained more, but Max meditated and went to sleep. He knows that he's not the best fighter, so training all night won't miraculously make him better. He practiced and trained with the best of his abilities, and that's all that matters.

     "I have to win no matter what..." Max whispers underneath his breath before grabbing BND's brooch from his collar and holding onto it tightly. "I have to...for my house," he adds before finally falling asleep.

     Asahi, who's silently reading his book, glances at Max. He slowly puts his book down and stares at the brooch that Max is holding. Max might have lied about being an underling, but Asahi wasn't stupid. He knew that Max had a lot at stake compared to any of the contestants here because his thirst for victory could be seen even for a mile away.