35 | To Conquer Next

MAX WAS STARING AT the ceiling with an unreadable expression on his face. It's been thirty minutes since he woke up but he still hasn't left his bed since then.

     The young heir was exhausted. After everything that happened to him, he couldn't believe that it's only been two weeks since it felt like a month has passed since the House Assembly. In fact, this is the first time where he actually wants to just relax and take a break. That's a big deal considering how Max has been working almost all his life and he never in a million years have thought of taking a break until now.

     "Master Leigh? Are you awake?" Étienne asks from outside Max's room.

     Max doesn't say anything as his butler continues to knock on the door. When the knocks got even louder, Max finally sits up. He aggressively scratches his head before shouting, "How the hell am I going to answer you if I actually am asleep you imbecile!"

     Étienne doesn't say anything about the offensive comment and goes inside the room without his master's permission. "I noticed that you turned your lamp off so I had a hunch that you'd be awake," Étienne says, but Max ignores him before rolling his eyes in annoyance and lying back down on the bed.

     Étienne walks towards Max and looks down at him. The two stare at each other, but after a while, Max looks away and covers his face with a pillow. Étienne sighs and walks towards a cabinet before taking out a first-aid kit. "Will it be alright if I ask the young master why you still don't want me to call the family doctor?" He asks as he approaches the bed.

     "I'm fine. How many times will I have to tell you that?" Max says, his voice muffled since he was still hiding under the pillow.

     Étienne sighs again and takes a seat on the edge of the bed. He gently grabs Max's injured arm and slowly removes the bandage.

     Max's battle with Krist happened three days ago, and even though Krist tried his best not to shoot Max, his wounds still weren't normal wounds. It would have healed faster if Max had gone to the hospital.

     "If you're afraid that the doctor will tell your father about this then I can request a different doctor for you," Étienne continues, but Max doesn't answer him anymore.

     Étienne doesn't say anything either and starts cleaning the wound on Max's arm. Thankfully J.S High has complete equipment. They were able to patch his injuries up before they could get any worse, but the school doctor said that he has to clean it every day until it completely heals, and there was no other person who could do it except for his butler.

     "I hope this was worth it," Étienne tells his master.

     Max finally removes the pillow that's covering his face and looks back at Étienne who was concentrating on putting antibiotics on his wound. "It was," Max answers in a surprisingly calmer tone.

     "You're not wearing the Lemieux necklace anymore." Étienne suddenly adds without even looking back at Max.

     Max unconsciously touches his chest before looking away from his butler. "That doesn't concern you."

     "Are you sure?" Étienne asks, and when Max looks back at him, he was surprised that Étienne was already looking straight back at him as well.

     "I'm sure."

     Étienne wanted to give an additional comment, but he decides to just stay quiet as he finally puts a clean bandage on the wound. Max slowly lifts himself up so he can sit on the edge of the bed while Étienne kneels on the floor. He then grabs Max's leg to clean his leg wound next.