50 | The Pageant Begins

KRIST STARES AT THE city lights from the balcony of his bedroom. The scenery always relaxed him, which is why he made sure that Jokers' brotherhood base would be at the rooftop.

     After what happened earlier, Krist went to their base to calm himself down. He knew that things got out of hand thanks to what he did. If he didn't react to such petty remarks, something serious like that wouldn't have happened. After all, he's the leader of the barons. He should have known better.

     "I can't believe I almost punched a White Uniform like that," Krist says with frustration. "And that damn Viktor...he just had to add more fuel to the fire."

     Krist angrily brushes his hair before taking a deep breath. He then pulls out a lighter and a pack of cigarettes from the pocket of his robe. He takes a stick and gets ready to light it when someone suddenly starts knocking on the door.

     Krist sighs for the second time and places the pack of cigarettes back in his pocket. "Come in," he says.

     A maid enters the room and walks towards the balcony where Krist can be found. "Young master, a gentleman is waiting for you downstairs," she tells him.

     Krist lights up the cigarette stick that's in his hand before putting it inside his mouth. He continues to look at the city lights in front of him as he slowly exhales the smoke. "Whoever that is, show him out. It's already late. Whatever he has to say, I think it can wait till tomorrow."

     "But young master—"

     "Leave," he commands as he inhales the smoke from his cigarette again.

      The maid looks hesitant. She was afraid of Krist, but for some reason, she was more terrified at whoever was waiting downstairs. So she stubbornly approaches Krist and immediately tells him, "It's a man named Maximilian Leigh Sinclaire. I highly suggest you welcome this guest."

     The mention of that single name instantly makes Krist look back at the maid with shock. He doesn't say anything to her, but he throws the cigarette away and immediately runs downstairs.

     In the living room, Max - who's elegantly sitting on the sofa with his legs crossed - takes a sip of the tea that's been served to him. As he's drinking, Krist appears before him, panting heavily like he just ran a marathon.

     "W-What...what are you doing here?" Krist asks.

     Max looks at Krist as he slowly places the teacup on the table. He then glances at the maids that are surrounding them before giving him an answer. "I don't mind talking with everyone here to listen, but do you?"

     Krist stares at Max and sighs heavily before massaging his temple in frustration. "Follow me," he says before walking back to his bedroom upstairs.

     Max doesn't say anything and lifts himself from the sofa. He then adjusts his coat first before finally following Krist upstairs. When they got to the bedroom, Krist brought him to the balcony where he was just a minute ago.

     "Wow, you really like to stare at the horizon like those guys in dramas huh? No wonder your base is at the rooftop," Max manages to joke, but Krist looks back at him again, but this time with a more serious expression.

     Max chuckles and leans on the balustrade. "You're not an idiot Krist. You're well aware of the reason why I'm here."

     "Did princess Ariel tell you?" Krist asks, referring to Ari.

     Max shakes his head and answers, "No. Actually, it was your Jack, Ervin."

     Krist curses underneath his breath, but he lets it go eventually. He knew that Max was going to find out about it no matter what. So Krist just gave up and stood beside Max.