Regretful

I wondered how long Damian would go about his day before realizing that he was missing a small part of his morning. Before people started asking him what happened, why he left like he had something better to do. How long would it be that he'd come back?

With the special 'skills,' as Tatiana had put it, that I had, it was crucial for me to pay more attention to what I was doing and I blew it. My promise to myself never to use this power or any other again was broken and I could have seriously hurt someone. I viciously chewed on my lip as I sat in class. Tatiana would have smacked me upside the head had she been there.

I'd never used my skill set against a bully. I should have, but I couldn't bring myself to do anything to them as they did to me. Especially after Tatiana died. She wasn't there to protect me, and I kind of thought I deserved it. But it still hurt.

I avoided the lunch hall, there wasn't anything in there that could calm my nerves or the tingling feeling in my stomach that made me almost feel sick. I opted to sit outside in the square, on a patch of grass by the entrance that allowed me to view the whole scenery of the school and the cafe. The same view that I had that same morning when I saw Damian sneaking around but from a different angle.

I sat down on my burgundy school jacket to avoid staining the light khaki pants I was wearing. Pulling my knees closer to my chest and leaning my head against my shoulder I watched the leaves and the gentle breeze. It was mid to late October, the leaves were almost all turning some shade of red or yellow and the grass was covered. Only spots of green puffs emerged from the sea of fallen soldiers.

It was then that I saw Bastien walk across campus. His aura was a dull smoke color. The licks of fire that I was used to seeing animatedly following and spreading around people's bodies, reaching out to touch other's auras and entwining with each other, were not a vividly animated thing on him. His aura looked like a dried-up octopus on the beach. The tentacles were tendrils, shriveled up, weak. It was so sad to look at and I wasn't even sure how I might be able to help him. I didn't know what was causing him to deplete his aura and I'd never ever seen someone with an aura like that until I had moved to New York. I wondered if it was just the city air that caused this, but yet again, nobody outside of Silver Valley Academy seemed to have that problem.

I chewed on my lip and watched as Bastien walked across the square to a different building. Tatiana would have followed him. She would have taken the initiative and asked him hundreds of questions and would have figured the whole situation out in a matter of minutes. But I was never like that. I took a back seat in our relationship and in our adventures. She was the go-getter, I was the supportive friend that stood in the background as she shone as bright as the sun in a sea of stars. I wondered if I could be more like her and in an impetus of energy and self-belief I got up and went to run after Bastien.

The bell rang.

I turned around, I had class. I looked back towards where Bastien was, and he was now gone. A split second and my self-confidence was back to being below zero and I ran to class. Chewing on my cheek with regret.

Hello hello reader! I hope you had a good Memorial Day weekend if you celebrate! Please leave me a vote! I'll upload the next chapter at 5 total votes :)
Veronique