That's Weird

When I filed into class and sat down at my desk I immediately noticed that something was missing. I hadn't been in class on Monday the week before so the feeling I got was unusual and weird, but the overall classroom aura was bright and peaceful, nearly joyous.

I shared the long desk with another student, she presented herself as Cassidy Good and was excessively smiley and bouncy. Her energy made me feel nauseous, she was too much. And the table to the right of us had an empty space and a boy sitting in the other chair. His aura was particularly yellow, but I didn't have to look at his aura to see that he was happy. The reason behind that was a mystery to me.

Class went by in a breeze, the whole class seemed to be in such a good mood which was extremely pleasant. I didn't think I'd been in a class where people actually seemed interested and happy to be there.

When the lunch bell chimed, I met up with Tyler outside of class. "How'd it go? Did you find your seat ok?" He teased.

"Ha. Ha. Yes, I was fine, thank you. Class was surprisingly pleasant today. Everyone was so nice and happy."

He glanced back into the class and then nodded, "No wonder, Damian isn't here."

"How do you know he's in this class?" I asked skeptically.

"I have to go to lunch passing by here and he's always barreling through people like he's some sort of snowplow."

I raised my eyebrows at him while following him through the crowd. "Oh wow." As we got to the cafeteria, got our lunches, and sat at a table together I thought about what Damian's absence meant to me. 

His lack of aura made my skin crawl. It didn't make sense that he didn't have one. I'd never seen anyone at all without one and, over time, I had come to the decision that auras were some form of manifestation of a person's spirit or soul. Did that mean that he had no soul? And what were the implications of his missing aura? It wasn't just me he gave the creeps to, the way the classroom felt, there was no way that it was just because he was a bully. In fact, in the other class I shared with him, once he sat down he was quiet all the way through class. I was sure that the feel of the classroom wasn't because of his person per se, but because of the intrinsic vibe that he gave off.  It was interesting how people, though not as perceptive as certain animals, could pick up on these things that would cause them to stay away. Self-preservation I guessed.

Cecily and Jordan reached us shortly after Tyler and I sat down. "Where's Ophelia?" I asked just as I went to bite into my sandwich.

"I don't know," Jordan said, "She was engrossed in this book during class, barely paid any attention. She then went off in the opposite direction of the cafeteria when the bell chimed. I didn't even get a chance to ask her what was up." They said shrugging.

"Oh, that's weird," I said, "I hope she's ok."

"I'm sure she is. Sometimes I get so engrossed in a book I don't even notice time is passing," Tyler said.

I gasped, feigning shock, "Oh my god, you can read?"

He chuckled, "Ha. Ha. Very funny."

"No seriously, I'm actually surprised." I saw Cecily's aura become green. She was jealous but physically wouldn't show anything, she continued to chew on her food and talk to Jay like nothing was the matter. I knew I would have to get her alone to get anything out of her. I was pulled out of my thoughts by Tyler asking me something. "Uh... what?"

"What do you have scheduled today for extracurriculars? I know you said you were trying stuff out still," he asked, getting up and grabbing his stuff, "I have hockey soon, so I have to go."

"Oh, sorry. Yeah, I have soccer today." He nodded, gave a wink in our general direction, and walked away with a wave of his hand.

"To be honest I'm not looking forward to soccer today. I'm tired and I wish I could go to bed. By the way, I got lost looking for my second-period class and I ended up on the third floor of some building. I found the principal and Prof. Rederr arguing," I said, lowering my voice so only Cecily and Jordan could hear.

"What were they arguing about?"

"No idea, something about him not wanting her to do something. I panicked because I didn't think I was allowed to be there and hid in a room. Turned out to be a creepy hallway and I'm just wondering if you girls knew anything about it."

Cecily lifted her shoulders, "No idea, but you're lucky that bracelet you're wearing isn't active yet."

"Why's that?"

"Cause when they do finally get it working, getting into a room we're not allowed in will be rather impossible."

"Like your bracelet for your home?" She nodded but said nothing else. "I could've gotten in a lot of trouble then." I chuckled.

"Indeed you could have." She replied finishing her salad, "Do you think they might be having an affair?"

"Who?"

"Prof. Rederr and the principal." Cecily gave me an expression that said 'get with the program, duh.'

"I don't think the principal is the type of woman to have an affair." Jordan finally piped in, "Though there's definitely been something going on lately that I just can't figure out."

"What do you mean?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

"Can we meet after extracurriculars and go to your house, Cecily? I'd invite you to mine but half my mom's side of the family moved in for the week and I don't get any privacy anymore." Jordan said rolling their eyes.

"Yes of course. We can take the car together. I'll wait for you." We agreed to meet on the front steps of the school and then went our separate ways.

What's your favorite soda? I love Gingerale.
Veronique