Dark and Dreadful

It was a long narrow hallway with no windows on the left wall which was instead covered in carved dark wood paneling. The ceiling wasn't very high, just a foot taller than me, standing at about 5'7". The right wall had six tight, thin windows equally spaced between each other that let in very little pale light. There was a thick red and gold carpet that covered the whole length of the floor and the hallway seemed to go on forever engulfed in darkness past the windows. There was no sort of artificial lighting or light switch.

The darkness past the windows made the butterflies, which had just started to settle after the fright my teacher and principal had caused me, start acting up again in the pit of my stomach. This time, however, was much worse as I felt my mouth water and I thought I would be sick if I moved. Which I couldn't bring myself to do anyway because I was so terrified. I couldn't quite pinpoint exactly what the experience was like to look at that hallway just disappear into the darkness like a dark lair in a horror movie, but it was very unpleasant and interesting at the same time.

I wanted to know what was down this unmarked, thoroughly hidden hall. But at the same time, I felt that if I did take one step forward I'd burst into flames or be snatched up by a monster with long gooey tentacles never to be seen again. I wondered how old this hallway was and if this was like one of those secrets Ophelia had told me about when we worked in the Library together. But then again, the door was easily accessible, so it didn't make sense that this hall would be one of those secrets of The Academy. It was probably just a 'staff only' kind of deal.

I bit my lip, trying to decide what I wanted to do. Walk further into the hall or go back to safety? But then I heard the bell ring. The bell that signed the end of class. The same bell that I had only heard five minutes ago after my first period. I stood there in the semi-darkness, trying to comprehend what was happening. There was no way that I had missed a whole period and it was already break-time. Blinking in surprise I took a step back and bumped into the door. The feeling of the wood against my back tensed my body up in surprise. I waited for a beat. Then I turned around careful not to give the darkness my back completely, cracked the door open, checked if the coast was clear, and made a quiet exit. Then I sprinted down those stairs to get as far away from there as I could so fast that I nearly twisted my ankle on my way down.

Hello there Reader! Where do you think this creepy hallway leads to? What are your thoughts?
Veronique