Bio-logical

I took a breath and then stepped into the class. There were few students already seated and the professor was at his desk marking papers with a red pen. I walked up to him "Uhm, hello. I'm the new student, Angel Grigori."

He looked up and the first thing I noticed was his hazel eyes, so light they almost looked amber. "Welcome to my class, Ms. Grigori, I'm professor Rederr. Please sign your name here, this is going to be a thing you'll have to do every class you enter. It's how we take attendance."

I nodded gravely and signed my name on the sheet.

"We have an open seat over there by Tyler. You can sit down and we'll start when the bell chimes."

I smiled timidly and nodded, then and walked around the desk and sat down next to the guy without looking up from my shoes. His aura gave me the idea that he was interested in having a conversation. I tried to sit down without much interaction because I was uncomfortable. "Hi." My biology partner said looking over at me with a warm smile. He had short brown hair and nearly black eyes. His teeth were perfectly straight and pearly white which made me self-conscious of my own. Did I remember to brush my teeth that morning? What did I do?

I gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Hi."

"I'm Tyler." He reached his right hand out for me to shake.

"Angel."

"Nice name."

Another tight-lipped smile with an awkward side glance. "Thanks."

"You started today right?"

"Yeah."

"That's cool. Where did you move from?"

"A small town in the middle of nowhere," I said, this time giving him a genuine side smile, teasing him. He chuckled and then the teacher began speaking and we fell quiet for a while, writing and listening to her talk about amoebas.

"What's your next class?" Tyler whispered as we worked on a form together.

"Uh... I'm not sure..." I said, then checked my schedule. "Math... in class 94."

"I have the same one. We can go together if you want?" His aura was going all over the place, some yellows, and purples, some greens, and grays. Amusement, interest, hopefulness, and stress. Or that was how I interpreted it at least, there were so many other ways I could have read into it.

I smiled, "Sure. I could use the extra help to get to class. I can't find my way around here yet." He was happy, I didn't have to look at his aura to know. He sat up a little straighter and had this subtle upturn in his lips.

When the bell rang, we walked out of class together, talking about how we could get our bio homework done. We signed the sheet and he directed me to sit next to him which I was grateful for, because though I was uncomfortable with the idea of him getting too close, but I also hated the idea of being by myself.

On my left, there was still an empty desk and just after the bell chimed, a girl barged into the classroom, panting like a dog that just ran for 4 miles nonstop.

"Sorry, Mr. Vaschi! The Trig teacher held me back..." she said in between pants.

"Miss Dellanova, don't let it happen again, go to your seat and pay attention." He said without even looking at her. His aura showing little change leading me to believe that she did this often.

"Yes, sir." Her blond, perfectly curled hair reached her waist, and she slightly adjusted it as she walked towards the back of the class and the empty seat beside me. "Oh, hi! I'm Cecily." She said holding out a hand for me to shake.

"Angel."

"Nice to meet you." She said smiling and pulling a Silver Valley Academy crested burgundy notebook out of her bag. She was graceful in her moves, but at the same time, precise and fast. Her aura shone with a bright white and specks of purple, and though I could read her I couldn't explain the feeling that I could trust her.

She turned her head towards Tyler and frowned a little. "Tyler." She said without emotion, but I knew what she was really feeling: confusion, love, anger, and subtle hints of passion or lust.

"Cecily," Tyler said mimicking her tone, but he also was feeling the same thing towards her. I looked at both of them confused. Did they like each other?

The silence was starting to get unbearable so I said the first thing that popped into my mind. "You know each other?" I asked smiling slightly.

"Yeah," Cecily said turning her head to face the front of the class where Mr. Vaschi was talking, I assumed in an attempt to end the conversation.

"How long?" I asked in a whisper, trying to figure out why they were feeling what they felt, it sucked not having mind-reading powers and having to infer everything from signals and colors.

She was quiet for a while, "6 years." She said without looking at me.

"Oh." Now I understood what was going on, or I thought I did.

"Why so cold with him then?"

She winched. "Long story."

I attempted to control the smile that crept up on my face, "Hmm ok." I said turning my attention to the front of the class and dropping it. There was no way that I didn't know what was going on and boy oh boy if I wasn't going to meddle.

Hello reader! I'm so glad you've stuck with me! I'd love to know what you thought of this chapter and what you hope happens next!
Veronique