Hot Pink For You

Tyler spotted me before I saw him, "Angel!" He came running up to me, "You weren't in class. You ok?" We walked towards the front exit together.

"Yeah," I racked my brain for an excuse. I scratched my head embarrassed, and just went with the truth. "I got lost."

"Oh my god, I thought you'd died or something."

I immediately noticed that his aura was back to normal, or as normal as possible. There were still some dull spots, like floaters in an eye, barely noticeable, but once I saw them I couldn't get rid of them. "Oh, no I'm fine. By the way, what happened to you on Friday? I didn't see you all day."

"Had a family trip to go on. We went away for the weekend."

"That's nice," I smiled, "I'm meeting the girls for break, want to join?"

His aura became a gentle shade of pink, like blushing cherry blossoms. "Sure."

I led the way to our usual spot, sat down between the girls, and invited him to sit with us, "I only have enough sandwiches for the girls and me, but you can have half of mine." I said, as I pulled the pb&j sandwiches out of my bag and handed them out. As I split my sandwich I could see in my peripheral vision Cecily's aura blush with pinks and dull and feeble dark green specks. Was she jealous?

I controlled the smile that crept up on my face and devoted all of my attention to Tyler. If she wouldn't tell me how she felt about him, I'd make her come clean with other measures. I'd never flirted before, boys in my old high school intimidated me too much, but I had a general idea as to how it was done and Tyler wasn't just any boy.

So I scooted down a step to sit closer to him and handed him the sandwich. I completely blocked out Cecily's presence from my view for the time being. I had to concentrate on him, make him the center of my attention, and then, and only then could I turn around and look at her.

"So, what's your next class?" I bit into my half of a sandwich.

"I think Computer Science. And you?"

"English, or Spanish, or something of the sort," I chuckled while waving my hand in the air in a dismissive way.

He nodded in an understanding manner, "How was your first week at The Academy anyway?"

"Well," I put the piece of the sandwich down on the napkin I had on my lap, and brushed my hands off while finishing the bite in my mouth, "I feel like the first few days were kind of rough. I was scared, to be honest. But then I got to get to know you guys and it got much better. Except for Friday." I made a disgusted face and then took another bite from my sandwich.

"What happened?"

"I got bumped to the floor twice by the same guy. I think he has some problem with me, but I don't know what. I never even formally met him," I said with a small pout.

He frowned, "Who was it?"

I bit my lip and looked up in the air, pausing for a second to think, as if those eyes had ever left my mind since the first time I saw him, "Damian? I think that was his name."

He nodded his head, "Yeah, he can be a dick head sometimes. Don't worry, I'll walk you to class."

I smiled and leaned into him, "Aw! My knight in shining armor!" Then, keeping my hand on his forearm as if it belonged there, I turned around towards Ophelia, who had been fully immersed in a book that seemed to come from the school library, "Hey," I gently put my hand on her knee, "Are you ok? You've been really quiet today."

She shut the book and slipped it into her book bag, pulled up this gorgeous smile, and piped a "Yep! I'm doing fine. I was just really interested in that book, sorry."

"No worries, I get it," I smiled.

At that point I allowed myself to peek a look over my shoulder in Cecily's direction. She was looking very intently in the direction of the park across the street, but her aura was so darkly green it looked like she'd turned into a dark green Shego from Kim Possible. Oh, she was jealous alright. And I knew how wrong it was to taunt and tease her, I barely knew her, there obviously had to be good reasons why she didn't want to talk about him just like I didn't want to talk about Tatiana.

But there was something special about two people's auras when they loved each other. It was like they would sink up and the colors would burn more intensely, and those romantic feelings would make their auras match in pinks. There was this one couple I'd seen once, they had a matching set of magenta auras with flecks of red and pastel pink. They loved each other so ardently that the colors shone so bright it nearly hurt my eyes. And I could see the soft shades of pink in these two, they were already sort of synced up, just not correctly. All they needed was a little push. And why couldn't that push not be lil old me?

Hello there Reader! What is your favorite writing trope? Mine is enemies to lovers ;)
Veronique