Familia

Aunt Kristy had been home late every day since we moved, so I tended to spend most of my time with the girls. However, when I got home she was there, sitting on the couch watching TV, "Happy Friday." She said, turning around on the couch to look at me.

"Hi, you're home early," I said, looking at the clock that singed just after 6 PM.

"I am," she pointed towards the kitchen, "Food's in the kitchen."

"Cool. How was work?" I said dropping my bag by my bedroom door and making myself a plate of Thai food. I'd never, in my life, had so much variety in takeout food as I did this one week since moving.

"It was good, it's going to take me some time to get into the gist of things and get everything running smoothly but it was a good start I think."

"That's awesome," I said, sitting down next to her and munching on my food. She had this thing where a lot of the time she was more similar to a teenager than she was to a nearly 30-year-old. But I guessed that was also the downside of suddenly becoming the legal guardian of your 12-year-old niece at the age of 25. I wondered how hard that had been for her, she must have missed out on a lot of things to take care of me. Especially because I was the 'problem' child.

First the therapists, then what happened last summer. She had to leave her job, her friends, her budding relationship with a great guy, just for me. There were so many things I wished had gone differently, if not for my sake, at least for hers. Then I returned to the moment and I put my food down on the coffee table, and I put my arms around her.

"What's this for?"

"For being so good to me," I said, nuzzling my nose in her neck. She hugged me back and we melted into the hug, sitting there for a good long while. Her aura shined brilliant shades of content white and loving pink, and I saw and realized then how little we had hugged in such a long time.

We ended up watching a movie and then going to bed rather early even though it was a Friday night. All thoughts of Damian being rude to me and Tyler's disappearance flew out of my brain.

Her hair was smoking like it had been left wrapped around the curling iron too long. She was unresponsive.

I heard a blood-curdling scream and all of a sudden my aunt was shaking me awake. Then she was instructing me on my breathing, slowly calming me down. My sweatshirt stuck to my body making me cold.

"Honey, you were screaming," she said as she held me. "What happened? Is it the dream again?"

I nodded my head without saying a word. I hadn't had the dream in some time, the dream that was a reenactment of that evening months before that had left me scarred for life. And its sudden reappearance was terrifying. I didn't know if I could say it was a bad omen, but it certainly felt like one.

Hello Reader! I'm excited to hear what you have to say about this piece!  What did you think?
Veronique