Angel's Convincing

The situation that just arose was a problem. Not only would I have to respond to the consequences of my action to Damian, but I also had to figure out how to get out of the situation entirely with Tyler. Because I knew he wouldn't let it go.

It brought me back to the first time I did it by accident on my Aunt. We had been arguing and I felt the same energy flow through me and all of a sudden I told her that it wasn't a big deal, that I was ok to go out, and that she didn't mind me hanging out with Tatiana until the early morning sometimes. And she bought it. She let me go off with Tatiana who proceeded to drill me just like Tyler had just done.

Her voice was vivid in my mind like she had just been talking to me, "What did you do to her?"

"I don't know!" I had said, looking at her bewildered.

"You just mind controlled her," Tatiana said. "Did you ever do that to me?"

"No, that's the first time I've ever done it. I don't even know how I did it." I said feeling panic rise in me.

"Ok, it's ok. Breathe." She instructed.

I took a big breath in and released it slowly. I had no idea how I had convinced my aunt to just let me go but it was absolutely terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. We fell silent for a while Tati just looked at me like she was seeing me for the first time, and I had three heads.

"Is this, is this in any way related to the auras you say you see?" she asked then in a small voice.

"I don't know," I said, biting my lip. "Maybe?"

"I mean, what else could it be, right?" Tatiana said with a small smile and an encouraging rub on the back. We were 12, we didn't know anything yet. We didn't know what was to come.

"Do you think you can replicate it?" she asked with a twinkle in her eye.

"I don't know." I said, "I don't want to ever do that again."

"No don't say that." She said. "Do you know how good this is?"

"No, I don't and I don't think I wanna know," I said looking at her. Her aura was intensely purple, her creative juices overflowing. I could tell she had ideas rolling through her head like never before.

"You have mind control, Angel! This is awesome."

"It was a freak accident. There's no way I can replicate it."

"Try it on me!"

"What?" I asked, confused and surprised at her request.

"You heard perfectly. Try it on me." She said, again, seriously.

"I can't do that!" I retorted wiping away the remnants of tears from my cheeks.

"Yes you can!" she said, angrily.

"No. You're totally wrong. It was an accident and there's no way it's a thing that I can do on my own."

"Try anyway. If it works, then good. If it doesn't then I'll drop it." She said, matter-of-factly.

I stared at her for a minute, trying to convince myself I didn't want to try it again. But I lost the battle with myself and finally agreed. "Fine. What do you want me to convince you to do?" I asked, cautiously. Knowing her, I never knew what she'd come up with. She was a wild card.

"We should start with something small, I think," she mused and I nodded vehemently, "how about my nail-biting?"

"Your nail-biting?"

"Yeah, just make me stop biting my nails. They're down to the root," she said, showing me her hands. "I want long, fancy nails."

"Well... ok, I guess I can try," I said.

Then I tried to concentrate. I figured that I would have to replicate what I had done with my aunt so I breathed heavily and focused on my anger towards something in general. Nothing happened. There was no surge, no energy.

"I can't do this."

"Come on. What are you trying?"

"I was trying to focus on my anger like I did with aunt K."

She nodded her head in understanding and was quiet for a moment. "Maybe you don't want to focus on your anger then? Try to find a place of calm where you can relax," she said, rubbing her chin like she had a mustache, "You know how you always say that when I feel at peace my aura is white? Why don't you try imagining yours becoming white?"

"I can't see mine though."

"That's why I said to imagine it, dummy."

I chuckled, "ok, I'll try." I breathed in and out slowly a couple of times, then I focused on my own aura for the first time in my life and imagined it becoming brighter than white. A surge of energy filled me and I knew exactly how to act. I put my hand on hers and felt a tickle of energy flow through us, I looked at her straight in the eyes, "Stop. You do not feel the need to bite your nails." Then I took my hand away and opened my eyes. I felt the energy recede from me.

She blinked as if she had just woken up from staring into the void.

"How do you feel?"

"Fine. Why?" She looked at me, "Where are we?"

"We're in your backyard?"

"How'd we get here? Weren't we just in your house?"

I stared at her confused. What had just happened to her? "Are you sure you're ok?"

"Yeah, fine."

"I think this thing works weird on memory," I said.

"What do you mean? We were just leaving your house."

"T, do you like biting your nails?"

"No, why?"

"But you did."

"What?" She looked down at her nails, "Omg yuck, that's gross!"

"Good. It worked."

"What worked?"

I smiled. With time and attempts of using this skill with others, I realized that the downside of my power was that it left a previous three to ten-minute blank in the subject's mind, depending on how strong the convincing was. Tatiana was the one who named it as she watched me play around with it as kids, she named it Angel's Convincing because when she really paid attention and was close enough to me, even she could see my light.

Hello reader! This was a bit of a flashback that I felt was necessary to explain how Angel's power works. I'd love to hear what you think about it? Was it useful? Unnecessary information? Did it help you better gauge the level of trust Tatiana and Angel had for each other?

I'm hoping to get 5 votes on this chapter before posting the next one :)

Veronique