Chapter 30

Kol's POV

"You collect trophies from all your victims?" Freya questions Niklaus, as I lean up against the doorframe.

"Letters to their loved ones, to be specific." I explain, while our idiotic hybrid brother rummages through the envelopes on the table.

In the three days that I've been here, my eldest sister and I have made no progress in finding the Nexus Vorti. It seems like whoever has taken it must have already used it.

The one thing I have found is more hatred for Nik. Ever since I've been back, all he has done is whine about his broken sire line. The faster I find my friends, the faster I can leave this hell hole.

"It was a phase." Niklaus mumbles, locating a specific letter and picking it up off the desk.

"A phase in which we were forced to learn a different kind of stealth." Elijah mutters, shifting around in his seat. "You see, over time, Niklaus' enemies grew so numerous we had no choice but to artfully withdraw from the world."

Well, they did at least. I stayed hidden in the French countryside during that time. The longer I was away from Nik, the better.

"And then...I wouldn't exactly describe our presence in this city as discreet, wouldn't you agree, Niklaus?" our noble brother wonders, sending an inquisitive glance at the hybrid.

"We all saw the white oak destroyed!" Klaus exclaims, thankfully leaving me out. I was with Jeremy, Davina, and Valerie when the morons confronted our Aunt Dahlia. And after the incident with Astrid's ashes, I refused to help them kill her.

"Plus, this city was crawling with vampires, all of whom had no choice but to shield me from potential foes. Were I to die, they would die too. I couldn't have been more safe." The hybrid continues, flailing his arms around. "And now my sire link is undone. Those very foes will come for me, like never before."

"Oh, grow up, Nik!" I exclaim, rolling my eyes. "It's only been a few days since the link was broken. Must you jump to crippling paranoia already?"

"That's a default setting." Elijah mumbles under his breath, causing Freya to let out a low chuckle. Rolling his eyes, our hybrid brother continues.

"And with good reason." he mutters, turning to me with a glare plastered on his face.

"Well, Niklaus, if it offers you any solace whatsoever, we've ransacked Aya's belongings, torched Aurora's hunting ground, and obliterated every last splinter of the white oak." Elijah details, standing up to face our brother.

"I would be mad to believe that." Klaus grits out, clenching his fists at his sides.

"Perhaps you should see a therapist." I pop up from the background, earning another glare from my hybrid brother.

Without saying another word, Nik exits the room, harshly bumping into my shoulder on the way out. Rude.

"Every last splinter? You sure?" Freya questions our remaining brother, who stays turned away from us.

After a few seconds with no response, our sister lets out a heavy sigh, before turning to me.

"Let's go, Kol." she instructs, clasping my shoulder with her hand. "We have more important matters to deal with."

Before I can say anything, Freya exits the room, leaving for our lab set up downstairs. Sending one last glance towards Elijah, I follow after her, ready to start working.

~~~

"It was him." Nik breathes out, pacing back in forth in front of us. "It was Gaspar Cortez."

"I assume this was someone from your box of letters." Freya mumbles, rolling her eyes at our brother.