Chapter 20

Astrid's POV

Leaving the barrier, I begin to make my way back to my room to grab another glass for some whiskey. Third times a charm! 

On my way up the stairs, I hear my brother-in-law screaming in his room. Who pissed in his cheerios? Before I can make it to my room, Nik rushes out and storms over to me.

"Everything alright?" I question, carefully treading the waters. I know how upset he can get over things, so I don't want to push it too much.

"It will be, provided you've found a solution to this little quandary of ours." my brother-in-law mutters, raising his eyebrows at me.

"Well, I might have. I'm just not sure you're gonna like it though." I admit, rubbing the back of my neck. 

"I'm not sure we have a choice." Niklaus states, gesturing for me to continue. Letting out a sigh, I hesitantly respond.

"There are things that we need from the lycée, which means we need it clear of Finn." I explain, as my brother-in-law nods along. "And, knowing the dickhead as I do, there's only one thing that will distract him for long enough."

Scowling down at me, Nik rolls his eyes. Well I told him he's wasn't going to like it. I did warn him, so it's his own fault.

"And what's that?" he mockingly questions, crossing his arms against his chest. 

"If you tell him where to find your mother." I detail, preparing for the onslaught of disagreement. Surprisingly, my brother-in-law doesn't say anything and goes downstairs to the crowd. Is this opposite day or something?

~~~

Can those idiots out there please just shut up? They've been going at it for hours now. If they want me to figure out a way to break the spell, I need some peace and quiet.

"Things are getting testy out there." Marcel worriedly states, walking closer to Nik and I at the dining table. "Come on, we better move this along."

"Uh, Finn's boundary is too strong." I point out, rolling my eyes at the vampire. "But, what Jeremy and I can do is cast a destruction spell. It would temporarily neutralize all magical objects in the compound, including the compound itself. If it works, well, then it will give us sixty seconds to escape whilst the boundary is shut down."

"Alright, alright. That sounds good to me." Marcel mutters, smiling down at me. He isn't the brightest bulb, is he? 

"If the spell works, it will suppress all magical objects in the vicinity." Niklaus explains as simply as he can. "That means your rings."

Marcel lets out a loud groan, rubbing the bridge of his nose. Well we did try to warn him. The idiot just didn't want to listen.

"And if we go outside in the sun without our rings, we're dead." the vampire realizes, as I chuckle at the stupid look on his face.

"Unless you wait for nightfall." I clarify, before Marcel goes over to the window overlooking the courtyard. 

"They're also new. They're not going to be able to fight the hunger." he details, crossing his arms against his chest. "We can't wait until nightfall. We're going to have a bloodbath on our hands before we even get close."

~~~

Once Jeremy and Davina return to the compound, the three of us start setting up the components for the destruction spell. At first, Kol tried to come with them, but Valerie helped make sure he stayed away.

As the three of us continue tearing up the needed herbs, I use my magic to light up the candles for the spell. While we do this, I hear a large commotion come from behind me. The vampires and werewolves must be fighting again.

"Astrid! Start the spell!" I hear Marcel exclaim, before I nod over at my brother. We both place our hands against the barrier and begin mumbling the destruction spell. 

After a few minutes, a large gust of wind comes through the courtyard, blowing out all of the candles. Jeremy jumps back and moves to test the barrier. Before I can stop him, he places his hand onto mine without burning it. Oh thank god it worked!

Hayley and the other wolves begin running past us out of the compound, while the vampires cower in the shadows. Smiling over at my brother and Davina, the three of us begin making our way out of the compound. Before I can cross through the barrier, however, I feel a tight grip on my shoulder. 

"Change of plans, sister." Niklaus states, throwing me back towards the crowd of vampires. I land onto one of the tables, breaking it upon impact. "I no longer have to treat you as anything but the treacherous liar that you truly are."

"What the fuck!" I exclaim, standing up from my spot on the ground. Hearing hissing behind me, I step closer to the barrier. 

"Where is she?" my brother-in-law questions, gritting out every word. My eyes widen in realization, and I gulp. Shit. Can this day get any worse?

"Please! They'll kill her!" Jeremy screams at him, pleading for his help. Keeping his eyes locked with mine, Niklaus tilts his head with a smirk.

"Well, she should have thought about that before she betrayed our sister!" he nonchalantly wonders, folding his hands together. "Rebekah never made it to her body, did she? And, seeing as you cast the spell and, well, you're you, I'd hardly call it an uncrackable case!"

"Rebekah's fine, Nik!" I scream, storming over to my brother-in-law. "It was a prank, nothing more than anything you lot have done to me and Kol, but I bet it's different when it's one of yo-"

Right as I reach where the barrier was, a burning pain shoots through my hand, causing me to pull it back to my side. He sends me a stupid grin, as I glare up at the bastard.

"Oooh. Barrier's back up." Niklaus points out, smiling innocently down at me. "And those vampires look oh-so hungry. Now, I was willing to welcome you back into my home! But you had to return to your petty, selfish jealousies! Well, let's see how well they help you survive when you're stuck in there!"

The grin drops from his face, before he storms off away from the compound. Nodding over to a teary-eyed Jeremy and Davina, I use my magic to incapacitate all of the vampires. After a few seconds, I rush past them all back upstairs to my bedroom. 

Locking the door behind me, I push my dresser in front of the door to block any incoming vampires. I was so wrong. This day got so much worse.

 This day got so much worse