Prologue

Astrid's POV

CAPTAIN'S LOG: DAY 460 of living in this hellhole. I would rather go to actual hell than deal with this shit anymore. 

Ever since my bitchy twin and her ex staked me a little more than a year ago, I've been wandering the Other Side in hopes of another soul to torment. Sadly, all I've found is a world in which my friends and family can't see me. I guess I'll just have to walk down this lonely path all by myself. More booze for me, I suppose. 

Grabbing myself a bottle of bourbon from the abandoned Mystic Grill, I make my way down to the cemetery. Time to visit mine and my brother's graves for the thousandth time. This is my new normal. Steal some liquor and visit two pieces of stone stuck into the ground. I really need a life. 

As I walk my normal route, I spot someone standing in front of my headstone. What the fuck? From what Gloria told me, supernatural creatures are not supposed to see each other when they cross over. Every single one of us is in our own custom-built hell. 

Carefully setting down my alcohol on a nearby bench, I slowly stalk up behind the person. As if she can sense me, the unknown woman turns around and reveals herself. You've got to be shitting me. 

"Hello, Astrid." she greets, folding her hands in front of her chest. Out of all of the people who could have come here, why does it have to be her? 

"What do you want, Esther?" I grit out, clinching my hands to keep from attacking the witch. She may be my mother-in-law, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to constantly kill her for what she's done. Hell, she tried killing Kol and his siblings, just because they're vampires. 

"Can't I be here to visit my daughter-in-law?" the witch innocently questions, causing me to glare. Sensing my obvious hatred, she sighs and continues. "Okay. You've got me. I'm not here for a visit. I know that you still hate me for my role in my children's' demise, but I swear to you that I have changed. I want to help you."

Narrowing my eyes at my mother-in-law, I scoff at her. Why does she want to help me? I hate her guts.

"Why would you help me?" I interrogate the witch, grabbing my whiskey and swallowing a mouthful. When she doesn't immediately respond, I scoff once more and move to leave the cemetery. I've had enough of her shit today. Before I can take another step, Esther speaks up.

"I can resurrect you!" she exclaims, causing me to freeze in my place and turn around to face her. What did she just say?

"I can put your soul, your being, into the body of a young witch. You can live again." the witch explains, causing me to cross my arms.  I stalk closer to her, getting up in her face.

"And what do you want out of all of this? I know you. There's always a price to your magic." I state, almost spitting at her. My mother-in-law sighs, knowing that she wasn't able to trick me.

"I need your help with a task. Once it has been completed, you may stay in the body and live out the rest of your days." Esther describes, as I take it all in. I can finally be free from this hellhole. I can be with Kol. I can live again.

"I'll do it...but only on one condition." I respond, seeing my mother-in-law smile. She immediately nods, causing me to smirk. I've got her in the palms of my hands. Let the fun begin.

 Let the fun begin

Crossed [2] ➳ K. MIKAELSONOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara