Chapter 10

Astrid's POV

"How much farther?" 

"I swear to god, Niklaus! If you ask one more time, I will throw you across the forest with my magic!"

I think my brother-in-law is trying to drive me mad. Ever since the phone call from Finn, he's been acting like an annoying little kid during a road trip. I'm sick of it!

Eventually, the two of us see a cleared field with a bonfire in the middle. As we walk closer, I spot a group of teenagers standing frozen staring at us. This has got to be Mikael's doing. Only he would come up with the stupidest way to stop us. Two partygoers step forward and relay my father-in-law's message.

"Did you honestly think to hold me with a blade forged from pain?"

"Unlike the weak, unlike you, I gain strength from pain!"

"Soon, you will know the taste of white-oak as it pierces your heart."

Niklaus laughs off the threat and glances around at the rest of the teenagers. Feeling slightly anxious, I prepare to use my magic. I don't want to, but I will if I have to. 

"It's very clever, Mikael!" My brother-in-law comments, waving his arms around in the air. "Compelling the locals to say to my face what you dare not. Enjoy the theatrics! They only delay the inevitable."

All of a sudden, another partygoer jumps out to attack Niklaus, while my brother-in-law's back is turned. Before the girl can do any damage, I use my magic to snap her neck. 

Niklaus turns to me with a shocked look on his face, causing me to shrug. If I try to knock them out, they'll wake up and start attacking us again. The other partygoers run towards us, as my brother-in-law and I smirk. This should be fun.

It doesn't take us long to 'incapacitate' the remaining teenagers. While I lean up against a nearby tree to rest, Niklaus drains the last girl of her blood. Before he can finish, his phone rings, causing him to answer the call. Not wanting me to overhear, my brother-in-law snaps his victim's neck and goes off into the forest. Shows how much he trusts me.

I watch the sunrise, waiting for the idiot to return. At least I can get a few moments of peace before the chaos hits. Pulling out my phone, I notice that I have messages and missed calls from Kol. Dialing his number, I hold the device up to my ear. 

"Where are you?" I hear him ask, sounding somewhat annoyed. Oh boy. This is should be fun. Overprotective Kol is back.

"Somewhere." I respond calmly, wiping excess blood from my nose. I may have overdone it earlier with the massacre. 

"Astrid, I'm serious." my husband grits out, sighing in frustration. "You're not a vampire anymore. You can be hurt more easily."

"You don't think I know that?" I exclaim, taking a few seconds to calm myself down. I don't need to cause a monsoon right now. "If you must know, I'm with your half-brother. We're in the process of tracking down your father. I'll text you when we have more updates."

Before he can complain, I hang up the call and repocket my phone. I already have a slight headache from the power over usage. I don't need it to get any worse. 

A few minutes later, my brother-in-law returns to the bonfire with an aggravated look on his face. Oh who pissed him off now? There's a long list of possible suspects including me.

"Who pissed in your cheerios?" I question the hybrid, raising my eyebrows at his behavior. Probably not my best move, but I don't care anymore. 

Niklaus turns to me with fury in his eyes and storms over to my spot. Instead of responding, my brother-in-law grips onto my arm and drags me through the forest. What the hell!

"What happened now?" I question, wincing in pain from the pressure on my arm. Niklaus tightens his grip, forcefully pulling me towards a clear path.

"Oh like you don't know with you meddling with my mother and Finn." he grumbles, causing me to narrow my eyes.

"Niklaus, look at me." I instruct my brother-in-law, who reluctantly faces me. A look of fury fills his eyes, so I know that I don't have long. "I don't know anything. They don't trust me with anything. They only have me and my brother keeping track of Kol and Davina. That's it!"

Instead of responding, he lets go of me and walks forward slightly. Niklaus leans over an object and begins to examine it. I cautiously make my way over and spot a blood-covered rock in front of him. Mikael and Caroline have got to be near here. The blood isn't fully dried yet. 

Examining our surroundings, I spot a run-down building a few yards ahead of us. And based on the glare on my brother-in-law's face, I would bet that the two are in there. Niklaus speeds both of us over to the entrance, giving me a slight headache. I have definitely not missed that.

Picking up a nearby shovel, he breaks it in half, before entering the building to save his girlfriend. Pulling out my phone, I send a quick text to Kol, letting him know where we are. Now he can stop having a panic attack over me. 

Turning back towards the building, I hear a struggle taking place inside and Caroline crying out in pain. Well this should be fun.

 Well this should be fun