46

I was speed walking to the library since I had to meet up with Acacia and her squad for detention. I was trying to organize my papers while walking. I accidentally ran into a boy, who was annoyed. I quickly apologized. I was about to continue walking, but I stopped to observe a crowd around a person.

I placed my papers in my bag while trying to figure out who had the attention of 30 students. I stiffened when I heard a familiar laugh. My eyes narrowed the moment someone moved, allowing for a crack to be made. I made eye contact with my amused maman. She smirked while chatting with the students, who were fawning over her.

She tilted her head as a signal for me to come over. I slowly shook my head and turned on my heel. I walked away from the crowd because I didn't need that unwanted attention. Why is she here?! When I rounded the corner, my maman walked next to me. Don't tell me she's used her super speed?!

"Lovely school, don't you agree." She smiled and strolled next to me.

"What are you doing here?" I turned to her in annoyance. "You can't just flaunt your face-"

"Chill, l'amour. My face isn't as widely recognizable unless you're American or have social media." She smirked. "That being said... Alec and my face were never released to the supernaturals public, so... I'm positive your peers have no idea who I really am. People know our names, but can't put names to faces."

"That doesn't explain why you're here!"

"Can't I just visit, my fille-"

"No!" I clamped a hand over her mouth. "They can't know that you're a vampire or-"

"I'm pretty sure the cat is out of the bag after the two stunts you pulled in front of your peers." I turned to glare at Hailey. "And you brought a new face here." Hailey played along. "I'm Hailey. What's your name?" She held her hand out to my maman. My maman was about to speak, so I cut in.

"Mildred Gertrude." I smirked at the look of disgust on my maman's face.

"I prefer Millie or-"

"Mildred Gertrude it is." Hailey failed to hold back her giggles.

"Mildred Gertrude Rasputin." I chuckled.

"So I'm Russian now." My maman rolled her eyes at me.

"Why are you here?" I asked my maman again.

"I came to speak to the headmistress about something. We were talking and she mentioned that parents and family visit the students, so I thought why not." She found this was too amusing. "Isn't that amazing?" She teased.

"Amazing if you didn't draw a crowd." I grumbled. "Hails?"

"Nah, I'm enjoying this, but we have to get to detention." She smirked at me. "And I think Millie should join us." My maman quirked a brow at me.

"It's a long story." I sighed.

I moved away from them and walked to the location. My maman and Hailey were catching up behind me. I wish I was deaf, so I didn't have to hear the students thirsting after my maman. I thought I was done dealing with that in Italy! Ugh! My maman is a lesbian, you pervert! Either my maman was distracted with speaking to Hailey or she just ignored the obvious stares and lewd comments.

I was so frustrated with my maman that I threw the door open. I yelled when the door broke off its hinges. Acacia and her friends all stared at me with gaping mouths. Umm... I quickly handed the door to Hailey and tried to act like she did it.

"The door is really old." Hailey tried to come to my aid.

"Yeah, if remodeling 10 years ago is old." My maman muttered. "Now, what's a detention?" She turned to me expectantly.