Part Eight.

𝑳𝒂𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒏:

"Lauren whatever you do watch your back, Dave isn't dead. He's very much alive and he's coming for you. Look I gotta go but I just wanna say I'm sorry and I love you and Kairi so so much."  The line went dead.

That was the last time I heard from Riley before I changed my number and disappeared out of New York for good.

Snapping out of my thoughts I watched Dave and Kairi play arcade games together and laugh at each other's crazy antics. Kairi was such a social butterfly so it took no time at all for her to warm up to Dave.

Constantly peaking at my phone I noticed I had zero missed calls and text messages from Jayce. I went back to being sad from our encounter earlier today, I really viewed Jayce as the sole protector of our household. Now that he was gone I felt hopeless and felt like it was myself and Kairi against the world.

"Mommy! Mommy look what Davey got me!" Kairi squealed holding up a ginormous teddy bear that was bigger than her. I can tell by the look on Dave's face that this was the best time he's had in a long time.

"Wow cupcake that teddy's the same size as you! Now what do you say to Davey?" I beamed.

"Tank you Davey!" Kairi squealed while hugging Dave's leg.

"Anything for you baby girl." Dave smiled.

"Well cupcake it's getting late and I think you and mommy should be heading home now."

"Mmmkay mommy." She sighed.

Picking up Kairi in his hands the three of us exited the arcade and made our way to the car. Dave volunteered to buckle Kairi in and tell her goodnight, shutting the door we stood in the back of the car and decided to have a conversation.

"I'm glad you came, thank you..... But we both know why we're really here." I folded my arms.

"Look Lo, as much as I resent you for what you did to me I finally understand why. I put you through some unbearable pain and pushed you away but damn Lo did you really have to go and shoot me?!" He fumed causing bystanders to stare.

"I did what I had to do Dave!" I yelled back pushing his chest. "You murdered my parents." I hissed in a lower yet serious tone.

"You did what you had to do? Lauren me killing your folks was a fucked up accident aight and if I could take that shit back I would." He said closing in on me.

"But you can't." I mumbled attempting to hold back tears.

"Please forgive me Lo." He begged holding onto my chin.

"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you!" I cried beating on Dave's chest.
He pulled me in and held onto me tightly to the point I couldn't move.

"Let it out mamas, let it out. This is what I want, I want us to let it out and talk about it. I don't want you to hold shit back from me and vice versa, despite the way you may feel about me right now I'm still our child's father and I still love you." Dave said looking into my eyes.

Just as our lips touched someone's car alarm went off.

"I have to get Kairi home." I said wiping away the few tears that slid down my face.

"I love you Lo."

"Goodnight Dave, take care." I said before getting into the car.

The drive home was no more than twenty minutes and when I pulled up Jayce's car was parked out front. Parking in the garage, I turned off the engine and picked up sleeping Kairi from the backseat.