52. Bar Fights and Street Lights

Start from the beginning

"We seriously need to talk. You haven't said a word about anything since yesterday."

I shrugged and crossed my arms. "That's because there isn't anything to say. What's done is done."

She dropped her paint brush in a dirty cup of water and shook her head. "It's not like you to just give up like this."

"Actually it is...I screwed up and I don't deserve his forgiveness. It's not even worth trying." I slumped off the stool and made my way over to her. "Plus he's never going to trust me again."

She brushed a strand of her black hair out of her face and placed her hands on her hips, dirtying her jeans with charcoal.

"Stop it with the self-loathing." She snapped at me. "I don't want to hear it anymore."

I groaned and moved around the table staring at her artwork.

My lips parted as I tried to form words. It was a woman in anguish surrounded by darkness.

"Wow that's——" I furrowed my brows and stared intently at the painting

"Wow that's——" I furrowed my brows and stared intently at the painting. "...really good Case."

"Stop avoiding the issue here." She leaned her thigh against the table behind her and looked up at me.

I sighed.

"Maya, you're letting what happened to you a long time ago control your life now." She stared down at her dirty hands and twisted her lips. "You and Will might not get back together, but there will be other guys who will want to be in your life. You can't shut all of them out."

She was right as usual.

I was my biggest enemy. It was never Monica and her jealousy or people finding out about us. I was the biggest threat to my own relationship.

And maybe that's what I could take away from all of this. That I wasn't supposed to be with anyone.

"Do you love him?" She asked in her no nonsense voice.

I responded with a dry laugh and ran my fingers along my baby hairs.

"We were only together for a month and some. Love——is a very strong word to use."

"Well I think you do. If you love Darcy, you love Will."

My stomach lurched. I'd never thought of it that way.

"You're just too afraid to say it aloud because then it would be real." She glued her eyes onto mine. "And it would mean something and then you'd be afraid to lose it."

I sucked my teeth and crossed my arms defensively.

"I've already lost it so your point is invalid." I retorted.

"You and I both know that's not true. The real reason you aren't fighting for him and trying to get him back is because you want things to be over."