I was crossing a line. I line a knew I wouldn't never retrieve from once I did. Yet I felt as if I needed to do it, I needed to feel this and not be afraid for once, take a chance I never dared take.

"Brandon visited today" my body complete froze.

"What" my voice grew shaky.

"He came to say happy birthday" tilting her head back to the side as if this was normal.

I could feel Ronan ready to get up from his seat, but I looked at him shaking my head.

My mother tended to hallucinate when she didn't take the medication given by her therapist, Brandon was one of them.

"Mama" my voice gentle, I grabbed her hand " have you been taking your medication?"

"I don't need them sweetheart I'm fine, he said I didn't need to take them either said it'd keep playing with my mind"

"no mama it'll help you, you were doing great the last time I checked, promise me you'll take them?" I furrowed my brows together in sorrow. God I hated telling her this.

"If I take them I won't see him again"

"I know" whispering to her.

"Don't worry" she placed a hand on my cheek " I'll take them just for you".

"I'm glad to hear it, now who wants cake"

****

We all sat on the couch watching lion king. My mother thought it was a good idea to let Ronan pick seen as though he was the 'guest of honour' when really he invited himself.

My mom laid in the far corner, while I sat next to her, Ronan occupying the other end leaving me in the middle.

From time to time Ronan would gently touch my thigh or caressed my nape with his hands. If it wasn't for the house that we were in a would have felt a jolt of electricity run through me.

But it only felt like we were doing this all over again, the way we sat was the way we sit when Brandon was still here and it made my inside coil together.

"Are you alright" he whispered in my ear.

"I feel itchy when you touch me" I returned. I saw his expression quickly change "it's not you" I reassured him. "It's the house".

"I understand" his eyes grew warm "I won't touch you while we are here" a long pause.

He moved closer towards me his lips gently brushing the shell of my ear " but, it's going to be a different story when we get back to your apartment".

An uninvited gasp released from my lips as my face began to grew hot. I turned to watch him to see he was now concentrated on the movie.

My mother jilted her head back up from the corner of the couch, her eyes covered with sleep. "I'm going to bed dear" releasing a yawn.

"I think we should be on our way then" I tapped Ronans thigh.

"Won't you stay the night ? Your room is the same as how you left it"

That was the problem. My room. I never not once entered it after the death of Brandon and I don't think I wanted to. The room was filled with horror memories that wouldn't let me escape if I opened it again.

After what had happened, I decided the best thing to do was move out. Even with my mother's condition I couldn't help but feel crowded with unwanted memories.

I hadn't realised I zoned out, when a faint hand touched my upper arm "Kiera" that calm voice said reeling me back to reality.

"I think it's best if we go home" he addressed my mother "we have work in the morning and sometimes it can be quite a hassle"

"Oh" my mother rose both her brows "well I understand"

"I'm sorry mama" I got up to give her a tight hug. "I promise to return tomorrow".

"Don't worry about me, make sure you're well and happy that's all that matters"

"I love you"

"I love you too, shortcake".