5

Over the next few days, everyone seemed to be walking on eggshells around me. Mady and Jay would seem to think about something before they said anything to me and Max for once was actually ignoring me. I wanted to know what everyone was hiding but nobody would tell me anything and I was getting tired of it.

I decided to skip school today not wanting to deal with everyone and went to the woods to relax. As I was walking, I got the feeling that someone was watching and when I turned to look all I saw was bright yellow eyes peeking through the bushes. "Max? Did you follow me out here again?" I ask hoping the color of the eyes was in my head. Hearing nothing I turned back around and continued walking until I found a different tree from last time but still comfortable enough.

"Belle?" I hear from a short distance away and my eyes open as I look to see Max standing a few feet away. Rolling my eyes I sigh before leaning back and closing my eyes as I acknowledge him. "What do you want?" I ask him hoping he will go away soon. "I want to talk, explain some things you need to know." He says getting my attention as I lean forward and wait for him to continue. He hesitates but also slowly comes closer to sit near me but not too close on the ground. "First, I want to tell you that Maddison had no choice but to keep this from you. It's not really her secret alone it kind of involves all of us and we would have to have a very good reason to tell someone." He starts as I begin to feel very confused from what he's saying.

"What do you mean? We never keep secrets from each other, why does she need permission to tell me this?" I ask him as he begins to think over how to say what he says next. "I'll just come out with it, like ripping off a band aid. Short and painful but you get over it. I mean I hope you do and want to continue having Mady in your life at least-" "MAX!" I shout cutting off his rant before it gets too much. "What?" He asks me as give him an expectant look. "Just tell me." I say as he nods before taking a deep breathe.

"Me and my family and pretty much half of this town are, well, we're werewolves." He says as I stare at him jaw dropped before eventually bursting out in laughter. "Okay, yeah. You got me good there but seriously what's the secret?" I ask him as he just gives me a blank look. "That is the secret Isabelle. I wouldn't lie about this." He tells me seriously as I start shaking my head. "No you're lying. For whatever reason you're making this up and you don't want to really tell me." I say as I cautiously move my body back away from him. "It is true I promise." He tells me as he stands up and my eyes follow him. "O-Okay. Prove it." I say to him as I look up at him from the ground.

He slowly nods his head before he takes a few steps back and before I know it, his body begins shifting into a monster. I scream as I scramble even further away from the wolf until my back is pressed against a tree behind. "Th-This is impossible. Werewolves don't exist I mean-" I start but slowly cut myself off as I observe the wolf in front of me lay down onto his stomach and he begins to whimper. "Max?" I whisper as the wolf's ears perk slightly at the name before he slowly nods his head. "C-Can you turn back now? I have questions." I say as I want to get the full truth but keep my distance as well.

He slowly shifts back into a human and I turn away as I notice he was naked. "Sorry, it's a downside to shifting but you can look now." He assures me as I slowly look back to see him in only basketball shorts.  "Max, be honest with me. That morning you found me in the woods thrashing at air, was that true or was there really a wolf?" I ask him as he takes a deep breathe as if he has been expecting this question. "Look, just remember that I did it to keep the secret I didn't-"

"IS IT true?" I say forcefully. I need to know if he made me feel crazy that day on purpose or if I really am. Maybe I am crazy I mean come on, werewolves? "Yes, there was a rogue wolf that day." He says hanging his head. Hearing the confirmation that he intentionally did this to me, I feel betrayed and hurt and somehow I feel myself begin to cry. "Listen Belle, I didn't have a choice okay? I never wanted to hurt you that is the last thing I would do." He explains to me as I shake my head in disbelief. "It's a little late for that. You made me believe and feel like I was going crazy I mean who does that?!" I scream at him as I get off the ground and begin to walk away.

"Belle wait I didn't mean-" "You never just mean to Max! That's the thing it either has to go your way or not at all." I tell him as I continue walking. Briefly I pause and turn slightly to see him before softly telling him. "I promise I'll keep your secret, but from now on. Stay away from me." I leave him standing there in the middle of the woods and as I get further away I swear I hear a slight whimper followed by a howl.

"Isy! I'm so sorry I had to keep this a secret form you. I never wanted you to feel left out, you're my best friend and I never meant to hurt you." I hear Mady say as I do decide to go to school and finish the last half of it. "It's okay Mads, Max explained it to me and he told me not to hold it against you." I respond to her as she lets out a breathe of relief. "So he told you about mates then?" She asks as I give her a confused look before shaking my head. "No he didn't, he just told me what you guys were. What are mates?" I ask her curiously as her eyes widen before she spots Jay down the hall walking this way. "Oh uh, just that uh, Jay is my mate!" She exclaims as she grabs his arm and pulls him to her. "So you call your boyfriend or girlfriend a mate instead?" I ask as I have no clue still what she means.

Jay looks between us two before he tilts his head a little in my direction.  "Kind of, yeah. They're what we call soulmates." He starts to explain before Mady jabs him in the stomach with her elbow. "It's not important. Don't worry about that Isy, if Max wanted you to know he would tell you, right?" She asks me as I start to consider whether or not I want to ask him this before completely ignoring him. "Yeah right." I trail off as my mind is still elsewhere.

Why wouldn't Max tell me about mates? Is he still hiding something from me?