Chapter Twenty

"And where is this husband of yours?" You stared at her carefully, waiting for her to lie or do anything suspicious. You felt Jungkook and Mingyu also paying attention. 

"He went to the supermarket," the lady answered but before she could say anything you asked your second question.

"Was he with you in the Philippines?" 

"Yeah, we went to visit our daughter in Manila. She is married there and just had a son!" The woman's whole face lit up at the thoughts of her grandson, she sighed, "I wish she married from here, at least I can see her any ti-- ........... B-but, how did you know we weren't in the country, young lady? I don't think I mentioned that." Her eyes went wide.

Jungkook and the young officer turned to look at you as well, confused at your question. 

You folded your hands in your lap, watched the woman for a second then glanced at the suitcases that were placed by the corner, they followed your gaze. "You don't pack that amount of baggage for a local visit." 

"Not that I am surprised or anything, b-but......... how did you know it was the Philippines?" Mingyu asked, his face annoyed you. really. Is it weird for us humans to hate a person from first sight?

"Use your eyes, Officer!...... The suitcases still have the Philippines's airport tags on them, "You rolled your eyes, you understand you were ..... smart..... but when things are that obvious, you get annoyed when they pretend they're shocked. Especially people who supposed to know. 

"Oh!" Jungkook nodded, crossed his legs then looked at the lady, "So..... If your husband was with you, who was here in your house during that time?"

The corner of your mouth quirked up when Jungkook asked the right answer, the lady might suspect something if you were the only one asking, it was true you have the authorities to investigate but you can get in trouble for questioning a possible witness outside of the station. And ........... You don't have a warrant to be inside her house

The woman thought for a second then shook her head, "My other son is in America for two years now, no one also was here for the past three weeks......" 

She didn't lie.

"I see," Jungkook sighed then looked at you, it was now-what kind of look but somehow made you want to smile, he was serious in helping you, and that was a first. 

"Can I take a look at the balcony?" You stood up but stopped when the woman gave you a look.

But Jungkook was quick to make the perfect excuse. "We need to check if there's a possible emergency exit, the last time we had trouble trying to get everyone out!" Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck and smiled at the lady.

Something is off. 

What is it? 

"Ah...... that's right, I have seen things like that on TV." She clapped her hands remembering, she stood up, "It will be nice if you can make that for us...." she slowly walked toward her balcony opening it.

You on the other hand stared at the young firefighter again, your eyes blazing. He really is interesting

But.......... why do I feel my subconscious sending me a warning

It's the first time she doesn't speak it directly.

You're challenging me?