Chapter 38

(Wednesday)

The hours prior to the fundraiser commencing had been a foggy haze, with everyone panicking over last minute details and rushing back and forth to make sure the place was set to perfection. I don't think I had ever seen Maya so stressed. She arrived way earlier than time and made sure every little detail was impeccable.

The venue had also changed to Blake's uncle's farmhouse, which ended up being a pretty decent place. It had a timeless vibe to it, making it antique. The old creaking barn portrayed an eyeless scenery, attracting people to come and take pictures, while the wide spaced garden allowed the numerous stalls to fit in perfectly.

The turnout was also outstanding, which meant Blake's judgment proved to be correct- I had to remember to thank him for that.

The time flew by quicker than I expected. Emma and I had an arts and crafts booth to run, so we took turns as we managed the two shifts. Thankfully, the paintings on display were selling like hotcakes- despite them not being the best. We even managed to sell one of Dylan's smiley doodles- he carved that at the lake yesterday, while I worked on recreating the way the crimson light touched the horizon. My art piece wasn't exceptional, but even I had to admit that it was one of my best pieces- I loved that Dylan took me to paint. What I loved even more is how much Maya loved it- so much that she put it aside for the auction.

"Hey. Who stole my smiley?"

Dylan approached the booth, as I stood behind the table, and grinned at his arrival.

"Can you believe it got sold out?"

I playfully smirked, as I struggled to keep my baby blue dress down- lesson learnt, flowy dresses and open air don't go as well.

"That's okay. I have my replacement."

He pointed towards me, as I flashed a smile.

"Is that not selling?"

He looked over at my painting as I too, turned my head to the landscape portrait. The first thing my eyes blazed onto is the blend of colors that the sun created as it met the mellow waves of the lake. It was the entire scenery from the point of view of the Patio, with a reflection of a watch to make it tender and somewhat meaningful- it was Dylan's wrist watch.

"Maya is putting it up for auctioning." I popped my eyes out, but my fingers timidly intertwined themselves in a cross.

"You don't look so pleased."

"I don't think it's good enough to be auctioned." I admitted, not to get reassurance or validation of any sort. I just suddenly felt uneasy about getting up on stage in front of a whole crowd of people- that wasn't really my thing.

"You think no one's going to want it?"

His eyebrows crooked, as I nodded my head.

"I'll want it." He offered, as a smile appeared on my face.

"You already have a copy at home." My eyes twinkled, with my cheeks lifting, as I referred to the scanned printout he had of the canvas- to attach to the portfolio.

"But the original's worth so much more."

"Thankyou." I grew excited, as he leaned in.

"It's a beautiful piece, made by a very talented artist. Don't forget that."

"I'll try not to." My insides gushed over the way his words could dance in my mind, making every complication look like a little puddle that just had to be stepped over.

"Hey." Blake appeared, as Dylan broke free from our gaze and tilted his head, while my arms stretched across the table.

"Hey Blake." I smiled, as Dylan did the same.