Chapter 28

"No you should definitely come." Maya invited me to a late night dinner, as I nervously smiled, standing a few feet from her in the dimly lit office.

It was a petite sized room, which from the outside looked somewhat spacious but had a completely different focus as a person stepped in. It wasn't exactly top notch but was well tended to- the furniture was proportionately arranged and it had a boujee corporate workspace theme to it- with the smooth layered credenza desk, a movable chair, stack of awards, books and vintage decors on the shelf making it thriftily presentable.

"Seriously, it's completely okay." I tried to brush off her formal request, as it was Dylan's night out with his friends and I didn't want to feel like I was intruding, especially when I hadn't interacted with any of them- except Allysa, but again that was only out of necessity as she was my teams leader, making the two of us obligated to meet everyday.

Another week had come to an end, and it was now Friday afternoon, which meant I had utilized more than half my stay. The past few days had gone by too quickly for me to remember. It was hours of bonding time with Dylan- thanks to which I missed the work time I was meant to give on Saturday. I did apologize to Maya about that later, after which she allowed me to make up for it the coming week- which now meant tomorrow. I had to say, it was perplexing seeing the way time was flying, but it also made me cherish every single second here.

Now, the restraining clock meant I was fighting with fate for Dylan and me to get a happy ending- or atleast a brief moment of contentment- our story began- I guess it all came down to whatever the universe willingly gave us. I decided to focus on the happiness, instead of the later- the end of summer- I could worry about that when it happened.

Still, I had bigger things to stress on right now- Maya had called me in her office, to formally invite me to dinner, and here I was. Struggling to say no without sounding too rude- she however, just made it all the more difficult.

"Blair, I don't take no for an answer, and you already missed last week's extra hour so consider this as makeup time for it, except instead of working you're spending a lovely evening out in a fancy restaurant." She joked with a straight face, as I smiled.

"Does that mean I can stay home tomorrow?"

I raised my eyebrow at the window of opportunity.

"No. That is something you still have to do."

She let my hopes down, as I sulked but affably agreed.

"Also try coming in before 11, because everyone leaves by 12 on the weekend. Plus, the kids won't be there so the earlier you come the better."

"Got it. Do I need to bring anything?" I asked, as she nodded in a no.

"Just yourself."

She smiled, as I concurred, and turned around to leave. "Oh and tell Dylan to be on time tonight. He's usually very late to these things."

"I'll try." I assured her, and skipped out of the room.

"Hey - trouble?" A soft voice caught up with me as I stepped out to see a familiar face crossing at me.

"Hi."

I tugged my hands in my denim jeans pocket to amiably answer Emma.

"Nope, just extra hours tomorrow."

"Damm. Goodbye weekend."

"I thought the same thing." I agreed.

"What did you do?"

"I was late last week." I admitted, as she eyed me suspiciously.

"Can't your boyfriend get you out of this mess?" She gracefully slipped in the word boyfriend, as my eyebrows frowned at her.