26. Mysterious drawer and the big discovery!

Chloe's pov

And I couldn't stand there looking at his ghast look any longer. He looked like a deer that has been struck in headlights and I'm sure he didn't expect those words to come from my mouth. Neither did I expect them, I was shocked too. I might as well say that they weren't meant to come out that way.

And the look on Caesar's face scared me, the clock was always turning in his head and that's why I couldn't fathom what he was thinking at the moment. So the only resolve I had, was to run out of that place as fast as my legs could carry me.

I Know he didn't feel the same way, he always saw me as a little homeless girl that needed to be looked after. I don't blame him, he was right in every perspective.

Once I was outside of the so called restaurant. Just right on time, a cab passed by and I was fast enough to catch it.

"Where to ma'am?" The driver asked as I settled in the back seat, my heart beating erratically.

"Just drive." That was my poor answer.

The driver was an old man with a bald. I couldn't miss his pessimistic look on the rearview mirror when my eyes met his.

"Please sir." I begged. With a nod, he started his engine and started driving.

When we were about to go past the corner by Tracy's shop, I was tempted to look back. And so I did, there was him looking at our direction, his hands in his hair pulling at it.

"Step on it!" I found myself raising my voice at the poor man but despite it all, he did exactly as he was told.

***
What am I doing here?

On our unplanned road trip, we passed by the Banleys' mansion. I don't know what came into my head when I told the man to stop his car there.

After paying him, I strutted towards the rusty gate my heart beating loudly.

Even when I jumped over the brick wall, my thoughts were jumbled. I don't know how I did that.

I was now sitting by the base of stairs that led to the main entrance, my thoughts scattered all over Caesar.

As I sat there, I couldn't help but revel at the fact that Caesar did all that for me. He bought the freaking space for me to grow my culinary skills on and do what my heart desires. I thought of the little things he had done for me. For him they were just minuscule but for me they were big.

When he goes all his way to do that just for me, How could I not want to be with him? How could I not love him?

It was so unlike him to do those things, it almost felt surreal.

And when I was reminded of what brought me to Bronx, my heart clenched.

I didn't notice the tears that were soaking my face down to my neck. I didn't notice how I was holding tightly to the flower vessel that was at the base of the stairs.

Without putting so much thought into it, I raised the melamine ware of that vessel and crushed it on the marble stairs.

Every content that was in it went scattering all over the place including the broken pieces of the vessel, the sand that was in it and some small pebbles, soil and to my surprise,a bunch of keys.

With trembling hands, I picked up the keys, they were all rusty and they ranged from bigger ones to small ones. They were of different kinds too. Some looked like drawer and cupboard keys while others seemed to be used in opening doors or so I thought.

Without doubt, those were the spare keys to the entire Banley building. My face split in a wide smile when an idea popped up in my mind.

After trying a few more keys, I managed opening the entrance door. Thereafter I went straight into the supposed bedroom of Mr and Mrs Banley.