45 | The 2nd Option

ÉTIENNE STEPS OUT OF the car and opens the backdoor. Some of the students who were already at the Keep suddenly stops walking so they can watch Max emerge from the car. His presence surprised them. After the bombing incident, everyone thought he'd run away or even be gone for a month, but apparently, they still don't understand how unbreakable this boy is.

     "Have a good day master Leigh," Étienne says with a bow, and Max nods his head and starts walking towards the main building.

     After resting for an entire day, Max finally comes back to school as if nothing happened. He looked like he didn't have any worry in his eyes, but actually, he was worried. There's a possibility that someone's out to get him, but a part of him still wants to prove that he's got everything under control.

     "Max!" Someone shouts as Max approaches their classroom.

     Max looks behind him and sees Felix running towards him like he was about to cry. Walking behind him are Ari and Ervin, who looked like they were finally getting along after constantly arguing with each other.

     "You were only gone for a day but I missed you so much!" Felix shouts before grabbing Max and hugging him tightly.

     Everyone in the hallway stares at Max and Felix with weird looks, but when Ari and Ervin arrived, the two glare at the onlookers, immediately making them walk away and mind their own business.

     "Are you okay? Do you feel anything?" Felix asks like he's a concerned mother.

     Max slowly pushes Felix off him, but then he smiles and pats Felix's head. "I'm fine," he answers before looking back at the rest of his friends. "Nothing serious happened so it's good to be back."

     "Well, you're a tough guy so we're not really surprised that you'll already be back on your feet," Ervin tells him, and Max smiles at the comment.

     The three then look at each other. Felix was nudging Ari's arm, while Ervin tried to act cool. Max wanted to ask what the problem was when Ari finally clears his throat and says, "Ervin and I didn't really want to do this but Felix wouldn't stop bugging us, so..."

     Max looks at them with furrowed brows as Ari pulls something out from his bag. To Max's surprise, it was a card. Or to be more specific, a welcome back card.

     Ari awkwardly hands the card to Max. Max stares at it for a second before taking it. He opens the card and reads the messages inside before looking back at his friends. Felix looked happy, while Ervin and Ari looked embarrassed. Max couldn't help but laugh.

     "W-What's so funny?" Ari asks, immediately crossing his arms as a coping mechanism.

     Max stops laughing and looks back at his peculiar yet sweet group of friends. "You do know that I was only gone for a day right?"

     "Told you that was stupid," Ervin immediately says.

     "N-No...I'm genuinely touched. Thank you," Max says with sincerity. He never really had friends who'd give him a card, or any gift in general. Actually, he never really had actual friends before other than Cindy, who he barely even talks to. Having people who care for him makes his heart feel light.

     "Thank you," Max says for a second time as he stares at the card again with a small smile on his face. The trio didn't say anything, but the way that Max was staring and admiring the card that they made finally made the three smile back at their dear friend too.

     "Well, I'm glad you liked it because I'm never doing that shit even if Felix threatens us again," Ari casually says before draping his arm around Max's shoulders.