XVI - Okay

"In middle school, I was the setter for Kitagawa Daiichi in my third year," I began. "They were, and still are, a powerhouse, and the people thought it was because of me," I glanced at Mitsuhara and she nodded, telling me to continue, "because I had pinpoint tosses. But my team never really liked me, they always called me the 'King of the court', not because I'm an amazing setter, I mean I am," she rolled her eyes, "but because I used to act like a dictator. Once, in one of the matches, it got really bad and I started screaming at my team on the court, and I-", I pause and take a deep breath. She patted my back, and said "It's okay, I'm sure it's hard." Oh boy, you have no idea.

"So when I started shouting at them, they started refusing to co-operate. I tossed to them but they weren't able to spike my tosses. Then finally, I tossed but no one was even there to spike it. And that's when-" I take another deep breath, "that's when I started to crumble. The worst thing a setter can go through is not having a spiker to spike your tosses. It's worse than being benched. Which is what I was after that match. Benched," she gave me a look full of sympathy, "That's why I get upset when someone calls me 'King'. It brings back terrible memories," I conclude my story, and look up to see her reaction.

That guy's had it so rough. "I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. And tell it to me again now," I patted his back again. He looked away, "I don't need your sympathy." But- "I'm not sympathizing, it's genuinely hard to go through all that. In fact, I kind of-" I stop my words. This is about him, not me... It will have to wait another time. "Never mind that. All that matters is if you've learned from your mistakes from the past. Have you?" I ask expectantly. He nods slowly, "I think so, and I'm trying to change for my team." I give him my best smile, "That's good, then. I'm sure with a little bit of help from your team, you will definitely become a superb setter." "I'm already a superb setter," he says, and I roll my eyes. "That's the kinda attitude you need to let go of," I say seriously, but there's a smile on my face. Seeing this, he smiles back, "Yeah yeah, whatever." I burst out laughing. "Your smile is so creepy!", I cackle, and he glares at me. "Shut up and drink your cola!", he grabs a pillow and throws it at me. This soon turns into a full fledged pillow fight.

word count : 463 words