We handed our posters to the people in the back and slowly made our way to my car. I'd notified Leila earlier that we would have to go before the protest would end and she said it was okay since we had enough people. Plus we never imagined that we'd be here this late.

It was already dark now and we only had 30 minutes until some athletes would start practice.

***************************************

6:28 pm

"How do you know for sure that no one is going to be here?" I asked as we made our way to the men's locker room. I pulled my black jacket closer to my body as we entered the air-conditioned gym hallway.

I'd only been near this area once before when Will made me meet him by the back entrance. That felt like so long ago now.

"Look, the football season is over and it's late. No one is going to be here." Casey answered. She wore a black leather jacket with a black shirt and dark jeans.

"The more important question you should be asking is how she got a keycard to the locker room in the first place," Gen said. She wore a black cheer sweatshirt and dark leggings.

Ben was the only one that didn't get the "wear black" memo because he wore a light blue hoodie and light-washed jeans.

"I stopped asking those questions a long time ago," I whispered.

The halls were covered with plaques and massive pictures of our school's athletes.

I saw Will's face in a trophy case when we first walked in the front entrance.

It still somehow surprises me how much money they spend on the athletic department.

When the Arts building petitioned to get a non-gendered bathroom, the school board said they'd think about it. That was over a year ago.

The floors were shiny enough for you to see your reflection clearly.

Men's Locker Room

I stared at the sign next to the door and watched as Casey swiped a card through the card reader.

I looked in both directions of the hallways and bounced on the heels of my feet.

If we got caught I don't know what kind of consequences we'd face.

The card reader flashed red and Casey looked at me in confusion.

I leaned against the wall and Ben tried it. It flashed red again.

"Well, so much for my stupid plan," Gen said in defeat. She sat down on the floor next to my feet.

"I'm sorry," Casey said taking the card from Ben. "I really wanted to help."

The 3 of them looked at me with guilt-ridden expressions.

"Guys," I said smiling. "It's okay. I really appreciate you guys trying to help though."

Ben nodded and I helped Gen up from the floor.

"And I paid the guy 20 bucks for this stupid card too," Casey said under her breath.

"Can I be of any help?" We all turned in surprise to see Will leaning against the opposing wall.

"You scared me." Gen clutched her chest as she stood up.

He flashed me a smile with his cute little dimples.

"What are you doing here?" I said plainly.

"I saw you leave and I followed you here." He looked at the doors and back at me. "Is there something you want to tell me?"

I looked at Casey and she smirked. "It's a bit of a long explanation but—"