33. New beginnings.

Nandini

The whole ride I was just into his arms, sniffing and sobbing. No one said anything, they just let me be.

"Dhruv pass me the water bottle." His chest vibrated as he spoke. I clinged a little more into his chest knowing we'll have to complete many rituals before I'll be able to hug him back.

He put his finger under my chin and made me look at his face. "Have a sip." He put the bottle to my mouth and I gulped the water.

"You okay now?" He whispered and I nodded. Closing the bottle he kept it aside as the car stopped in front of Malhotra house.

Suddenly all the nervousness and a little... different sort of jitteriness erupted in my heart and stomach. I have been to Malhotra house so many times but this ones feel so different and special. I looked out of the window to see Nyonika Maa standing there with some of their guest. Cabir and Mukti running towards the car.

Manik got out of the car and opened my side of the door, I took his hand and stepped down the car.

"Welcome home Nandini." Fab4 stood in front of me and shouted loudly and I jumped at my place when suddenly out of no where fireworks started. Manik chuckled beside me as I looked up at the sky. It looked so beautiful.

With one of my hand holding his biceps and the other holding my lehenga, we both walked towards the main door. Some helpers standing on the sides throwing rose petals at us as a photographer captured everything. Fab4 close behind us.

We reached towards Nyonika Mom and I touched her feet but as usual she just pulled me into a hug. Mom took the aarti thaali and did our tilak.

A woman came and placed a huge plate in front of me filled with red coloured water and kalash. I looked up at my Mother-in-law, waiting for her instructions despite knowing the drill, I just wasn't sure from which feet I have to do it.

"Kick it with your right feet." Mom informed and I picked up my lehenga a little bit.

"Nandini

"Nandini... try not thinking of it as Manik's head and kick softly." Cabir snickered behind me as the ladies chuckled. I did as instructed trying to hide my blush.

"Cabir you should know... you are walking on thin thread here, and I am about to kill you and fake it as accident. Reena Aunty, Sorry for your loss!" Manik nodded at a lady behind Nyonika Maa, who I had seen a lot during the wedding. Now that I look at her... she looks a lot like Cabir.

"I'll be lucky to get a break from this idiot. You've all my blessings." Everyone chuckled at Reena Aunty, who now— I assume or for sure know— is Cabir's Mother.

"Maa, are you really making a deal with this human being— who all he does is threaten to kill me all day, really?" Cabir gasped and I tried to control my laughter. Nyonika Maa ignored all three of them and nodded at me for the next ritual. Taking Manik's support I removed my heels and held my lehenga with both my hands and stepped into the thali, and then kept my legs on the white clothe one by one. Mukti gave me her hand as Manik and everyone else followed us.