#9 * Athena X Hecate

Start from the beginning

"I know, but I'm not." The daughter of Zeus said, trying to hide the quiver in her voice.

"Is it the tunnel?"

"It's not the tunnel."

"Then what is it?"

"It's nothing."

"Love don't lie to me please." Hecate said, her purple eyes lighting up with a mysterious light.

There was a certain type of warning in her voice. Something Athena only heard when she better started doing what her lover said.

"It's not the tunnel okay. Sure, going to Hades isn't my favorite thing to do, but I wouldn't have volunteered if I didn't want to do this." The wisdom goddess said.

"Wrong. You'd do anything for Artemis. She's the only sibling you can connect with. If she needs something you'll go get it." Hecate shot down the weak argument.

"So then what is it that scares you? Because you tell the truth about the tunnel thing." The Chtonic goddess continued.

"Shush. Did you hear that?" Athena said, stopping both of them in their tracks.

"Babe, you can't just start pretending to hear things just because you don't want to talk about something." Hecate said a little agitated.

"I'm not. I really heard something." The daughter of Zeus replied, summoning her spear.

"Oh please, don't be so dramatic. There's probably nothing wro-"

Just as Hecate said it she heard a howl. It was distant, but certainly in the direction they were headed.

"Dramatic huh?" Athena said as she eyed her girlfriend.

"Don't start with me." The Chtoninc goddess grombles as she gave her lover a soft glare.

Hecate continued down the path. She could feel Athena's breath in her neck. Usually she would've really loved that. Now she wished she could get some space. The tunnel was tight enough, she didn't need her girlfriend breathing down her neck. Both litteraly and figuratively.

"You're sure this is the only way?" The wisdom goddess asked.

She didn't look forward to meeting whatever was the cause of that howl.

"Tell me love, since you're so smart. Why would I willingly choose for a tight tunnel that goes towards a weird howling noise, way down in Hades?" The goddess of magic replied.

"What is with you today? Since when are you so snappy?" Athena asked, taken aback.

"I'm not being snappy. I just-. Look this is not the moment to argue. Let find whatever howled, get it over with and get to the plegethon for some fire water okay?" Hecate sighed.

"Okay fine." The daughter of Zeus muttered in response.

Sometimes Hecate wondered if her girlfriend was truly this oblivious when it came to feelings or if she just pretend not to see them. She couldn't tell which would be worse.

They inched down the tunnel in silence. Athena had seemed to take the hint and kept a little more distance. Part of the Chtonic goddess was happy because now she had some space to work. The other wanted her lover close again because no matter how you twist or turn it she was very protective and very good with a spear.

Occasionally the pair heard a howl, closer and closer each time. Until it sounded practically right next to them. Both goddess looked at one another and swallowed.

"It's behind this corner." Hecate said, pointing her torch towards a hole in the wall.

Athena took a deep breath.

"You're a hundred percent sure?"

The goddess of magic nodded.

"Okay, you light up the space, I'll take care of whatever is in there okay?" The wisdom goddess proposed.

"Yeah of course. Be careful please." Hecate almost pleaded.

Athena gave her a nod, then a smile followed by a quick peck on her cheek.

"I love you." The daughter of Zeus said.

"Don't make this sound like a goodbye." The Chtonic goddess practically whined.

Athena smirked over her shoulder.

"I love you too." Hecate replied, shaking her head.

She made sure to position her right next to the entrance so all she had to do was stick out the torch to light up whatever was around the corner.

"You ready?" The goddess of magic asked.

Athena nodded. Hecate stuck out the torch lighting up the room. The wisdom goddess rushed forward with her spear, stopping only just in time.

The point of her spear hovered over a hell hound pup and it's wounded mother. The mother howled, clearly in pain. The daughter of Zeus spotted a large cut across the hell hounds chest.

"Uh babe? I still hear howling. What's going on?" Hecate's voice asked.

"I think you should see this one for yourself..." Athena replied.

------------------------------

A little something I cooked up while occasionally taking a break from exams. I have to say I actually really like these two together. Maybe an idea for a one shot book idk, let me know what you think about that. Also I think there's still a lot of potential in this chapter so maybe a little book of a couple of chapters idk, but somehow I feel like there's is way more that could still happen with this piece. Anyways kiddos, I hope you liked this short. See you in the next one!

- Athena