Suddenly, the masters of ceremony started talking once again. "It is with great privilege, I present the Vauxhall's newest spectacle of illumination. Feast your eyes above and allow all that is radiant to overwhelm you."

From a distany silhouette, I saw as a man walked towards a corner carrying the torch. He was headed towards a metallic machinery that I have a hard trouble recognizing from the dark.

When he touched the torch to what seemed like a base of the pole. Sparks flew and cracked. The light flowed magnificently towards the wires above us and illuminated the hundreds of bulbs that were hovering above us. It was indeed a spectacle that awed every attendee of the ball.

"Let there be light," whispered someone from behind me.

"Lumiere," said another person.

At that moment, I didn't listen. All I did was stare at the beautiful lights that are above us. Everybody clapped but I didn't. I remained captivated by such sight.

"Wonderful light!" Said the emcee, to which I agreed to. It was indeed jaw dropping and a spectacle a person wouldn't want to miss.

The lights were ethereal... until they weren't.

As I lowered my stare from the lights above, my eyes caught sight of the viscount who was whispering towards his sister, Daphne who is flawless as ever.

They weren't that far from where we were standing that I was able to hear a few words from their conversation.

"It should be just as easy for you to fall in love with Lord Berbrooke as with anyone else," he said with an annoying look on his face.

Even from a distance, I felt how annoyed Daphne was towards her brother. She had her brows raised, disgusted by the sudden suggestion of her brother.

"I will not hear of this," responded Daphne and immediately walked away from the conversation, leaving the viscount alone in the middle of the crowd.

He took one deep sigh, with eyes wide. And then something horrendous happened, a klutz passed behind my back and bumped into me that I fell towards the grass.

"Shit," I whispered.

Now, from the bizzare display of lights, they were now looking at me. I was the center of attention.

I didn't immediately think what to make of the sutuation because it wasn't as if it was a reallt dramatic fall. I just fell into my knees.

"Holy goodness, milady," said the guy who bumped me. "Please forgive me."

"It's fine," I lied. I wasn't fine.

I didn't take his hand to help me up. I just let him be consumed by his conscience. I dusted off the dirt from my dress as I stood up. I had my focus particularly on the knee area.

I was quite thankful that I fell on the grass and not the ground. It was a minor fall.

Something irrelevant. After my fall, people gasped then they went on with admiring the lights. Or at least, that's what I told myself to convince me that it was no big deal.

It wasn't supposed to be a big deal, but the douchebag Anthony, immediately came running towards me and was half a meter away from where I was standing.

The instant I heard his voice, my blood immediately boiled. "Are you okay?"

I looked up, not needing to see his smug face, I already knew who the voice came from. The narcissistic viscount.

"Yeah," I responded coldly. "You should get back to whatever you were doing before you went here."

"I just drove my sister away from my suggestion," he unsolicitedly replied, as if I cared about what he was saying.

I nodded, then turned my back on him.

"Hey Calypso, I hope you can forgive me," he said, his voice seemed to crack.

"You should really get back Anthony," I responded coldly, picking up my dress to lift them up just so I couldn't fall while walking on my heels.

"Calypso, please don't walk away," he begged, not minding that people were listening. We were inside a big crowd, how wouldn't they hear?

I turned to look at him. "Maybe next time avoid talking, Anthony. You seem to have a habit of pissing off ladies. Goodbye."

Without looking back, I walked out of our conversation.

It wasn't only Daphne who was pissed at him that night. It also included me.

°°°

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Sorry for a day late update. We were loaded with exams once more. It's only two weeks left before our school break so that's why my professors are giving us too many exams.

Hope you understand.

Also, hope you liked this chapter!

Thank you!!!

~ evan smith ~