Page 2

As they made their way past the borders, in the distance the woman could see the townspeople, laughing and chatting as they made their way up and down the roads. Small buildings surrounded them, each flowing with customers. Once they slowed down, she slightly released her hold on Theo. As they got closer, though, the environment seemed to change. Fewer people were laughing, some of them retreating into their homes, shielding their children. Their talks turned into whispers as they stared in the pair's direction in disgust. She didn't realize the two had come to a halt until Theo dismounted and tapped her on her shoulder. He seemed unfazed by the reactions of the townspeople. "Wait here, I'll be back soon." As he walked off, the woman began looking around, spotting a bundle of older ladies watching her, hurriedly looking away once she faced them. He wasn't kidding. Jumping off of the horse, she started walking around, admiring the goods people had placed out. Continuing to walk down the road, she eventually made her way into an alley. Once the realization hit her- that of which she was alone, wandering a city full of people who disliked her- she decided it would be best to return to Theo's horse. Turning around, she saw that a group of 3 men were standing in front of her, malicious looks plastered over all their faces. Her heart began beating quick, knowing the men were looking for trouble. One of them walked closer to her, and she began walking backward, looking around and hoping for a way out. He continued stepping closer until her back hit the wall, and she was pinned in the corner of the alley.

"Hey, pretty lady. What's a girl like you doing alone in this part of town?" A smile appeared on his face. Her breathing became labored as her fear grew stronger. There was no way out. He began leaning his face closer to hers, and in a burst of action, she quickly rose her knee and kicked him in the groin. His head pulled back in pain, and she could see his face grow red in anger. "Fuck!" He yelled, "You're gonna pay for that!" Quickly, she tried to make a run for it, but before she was able to get anywhere, the man grabbed her wrist aggressively and slammed her back to the wall. Her body hit the wood roughly, a stinging sensation overtaking the bruise. She wanted to scream, but seized up in a panic, she only managed to voice a weak, cracked mumble. Overwhelmed with fear, she closed her eyes, trembling.

"Get the hell off her." A familiar voice commanded. Opening her eyes, she saw Theo standing in the alley, two men lying on the ground beneath him, unconscious. The man looked back, not letting go of her wrist,

"How 'bout you get the hell out of here?" Theo rushed closer until he was right next to the man, holding a blade up to his neck.

"I said, get the hell off of her," Theo commanded furiously. The man finally let go of her wrist, putting his hands up and retreating. Once he was out of sight, Theo turned to the young woman. "Is-" Before he could continue, she wrapped her arms around his body, eyes watering. He returned the embrace, holding her tightly in his arms, comforting her. After a couple of moments, he broke the silence, "I- uh...have a place you can stay at if you want. Unless you don't- that's fine too."

Taking a few seconds to think it over, the woman nods. Although he may be a stranger, he did come to her rescue. Plus, she still felt safer treading with the stranger that aided her compared to wandering alone in a town full of people who, quite obviously, disliked her. She still didn't understand why they showed so much disgust towards her- they hadn't even met her. Surely it couldn't all be due to a meaningless tattoo- no, she refused to believe that.

"Okay then." A slight smile appeared on his face. He led her back to his horse, and, ignoring the stares, they made their way across the town to a small cottage. Inside the cottage was a large, cozy-looking bed, two large, wooden chairs, and a small table. In a very tiny area attached to the cottage was the bathroom, which was surprisingly small. The woman didn't complain, though. In fact, she was grateful; after spending days in the burning deserts, this cottage was a luxury. Heading back to the main room, she saw Theo standing next to the door. "I'm gonna go get us food- shouldn't take long." He began, "Meanwhile, just get comfy and whatever." Once the door closed behind him, she looked around. Might as well take this opportunity. She walked into the bathroom, preparing for a bath.