Sixteen - The Death Cure

"I'll sink deeper into the blue, 'cause what else can I do without you?"

Penelope

When I finally made it back to base, Gally patted my arm before motioning over his shoulder, to where I assumed Frypan was, and I simply waved him off as I wiped stray beads of sweat from my forehead. "Hey.." A voice greeted me, and I turned around as they did so.

"Hey." I had hesitated slightly, not expecting Aris to come to me. We had hardly spoken to each other at all, since we had figured out that we were siblings, as though things were different now.

"How.." He paused, and I nearly believed he had no idea where he was going with the conversation. "How did it look? I mean, do you really think we can pull this off?" He gently wrapped an arm around my shoulder, guiding us over to some wooden crates to sit on.

The wood was not damp, yet rotten, as though it had been left here for years in decay and moisture from the scorch. In a way, I didn't want to sit there, but I knew it wasn't going to get much better than that, not in a world like this, at least.

"I don't know how the hell we're going to pull this off, Aris..I mean." I hesitate for a few seconds. "I still have my keycard, from the night I escaped the maze..I just don't think we're going to make it far."

"Well, you may or may not be the world's most wanted criminals."

"Me?"

"Not you, as far as W.I.C.K.E.D. know, you died back in the maze, but Thomas? Newt? Vince? Those guys are wanted criminals..and the reward looks big."

Haha, did you know you're famous, Tommy?

What?

I knew he was telling the truth after I had seen the posters around the city in the evening, which had photos of Thomas' face, ones that looked like mugshots, he appeared exhausted in them, almost as though the photos were against his will. The worst part, however, was the bright red text against it, almost in the colour of dark blood, which said something about Thomas being the real leader. It made me feel sick, and I hadn't mentioned it since.

"I know..but we can do it." Aris squeezed my shoulder. 

"Have you talked to him?" I followed my eyes along to where Aris was staring, right at Newt. I hadn't talked to Thomas or Newt since their argument earlier, but it seemed as though Aris was able to pick up on the tension without asking anyone about it.

"No.." I bite down on my lower lip, staring at Newt as Thomas was out of sight somewhere, most likely letting out steam. "Do you think it's a good idea?"

Aris stood up after that, dusting off some imaginary lint before holding a hand out to me to help me off of the wooden crate. "When have you ever had any good ideas?"