Fifteen - The Death Cure

a / n: finally decided on endgame, and i always had that idea from the beginning as it was gonna be the end since i wrote the first chapter, but i've taken everyone's ideas into account and when this book is over, for those who prefer the other option, i'm gonna make an alternate chapter ending <3 enjoy !!

"My head is filled with parasites, black holes cover my eyes. I dream of you almost every night, hopefully I won't wake up this time."

Penelope

Penelope

When we had crawled out of the tunnel, heaving and panting, I was quick to embrace Newt with all of the energy I could muster in my exhausted state, and I felt his arms wrap around my waist before he gently squeezed me, not wanting to let go.

I felt his lips peppering tiny kisses on the top of my head. "I thought you guys died." I nuzzle my head further into the side of Newt's neck, letting out a small whimper at the scene I had to witness.

While embracing Newt, Thomas gently started rubbing my back, reassuringly, as though telling me they were all fine and that we could continue. Is this a Newtmas sandwich?

I can hear you.

With that, I gently patted Newt's shoulder, as if to say I was trying to tap out, and he released me from his death grip and let me step backwards. With that, Gally sent me a quick nod before opening the exit door to the outside world, and I immediately felt a gust of humid air blow over me before walking in between the three boys out of the door.

It was busy, bustling with people, something that I never thought I'd see again after seeing the scorch and the remains of The Right Arm home-bases, and we speed-walk into the crowd, quickly shutting the door behind us so that we blend in without causing a scene as to why we had made our way out of the door in the first place.

I pulled my bandana up, over my mouth and nose, as we began making our way up a staircase at the same time as Gally pulled on a plain, medical face-mask, Newt and Thomas not bothering to wear them. "I think you'd blend in a bit more if you put on a mask, guys .." I call over to them quietly as they pause to look at me.

"The mask really brings out your eyes-" Newt began talking at the same time that Thomas did.
"I prefer you with the mask, I can't see as much as your face-" They both stopped to look at one another, Thomas letting out an awkward chuckle.

"Kidding..duh." And so we continued.

When we finally came to a stop, it was above some escalator sets and had a perfect view of the city skyline, though Gally didn't seem satisfied with how high up we were as I basked in the city viewpoint. As wicked      as this city may be, it has to be the most beautiful thing I may have ever, or will ever, witness.

"Well..this is a long way from the Glade." It was Newt who broke the silence as he slipped his hand into mine, not once breaking his gaze across the large skyscrapers.