Two - The Scorch Trials

"Turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you."

Penelope

Penelope

I think that when it comes down to it, at the end of the day or the period of time, everything happens for a reason, or at least, everything must happen for the greater good. Sometimes we have to sacrifice things we love, or people we love. However as it begins to progress, I realise I may have lost a lot more than I had originally predicted.

Every single minute of my time is spent thinking about Newt and Thomas, about Aris, Jeff, Clint, all of the gladers who left us behind. I can't help but wonder where I'd be right now if I had gone with them, or if I'd be alive at all. Nevertheless, it's not something necessarily worth pondering, as I could spend hours and hours debating the what if's and never focusing on the present.

The present currently consisted of me holding a handgun and aiming towards a target, Sonya on my left hand side and Harriet on my left hand side. Shooting at the target was relentlessly exhausting, and I had hit the target itself about four times total out of ten, making it safe to say that I wasn't doing too well.

"At least aim for the target," Another shot. "No, no, Pen not under the target." Sonya guided me on how to properly hold the gun, fixing my position for the hundredth time as I shot at the target again, this time hitting one of the rims around the centre of the target, causing a small exhale of relief to blow through my lips.

Shooting once again, the gun felt unfamiliar in my hands, as though I wasn't used to the fragile harshness of a modernised weapon such as the one I was currently wielding towards the target. Another shot near the centre confirmed the suspicions that I was in fact improving with my aim, Sonya and Harriet celebrating from both sides of me with giggles and squeals.

Being in the presence of girls felt different, the good kind, after being stuck in the maze with all of the guys for so long, and I felt comfortable with them, finally feeling like a teenage girl again. Even so, I didn't know how normal it was for teenage girls to shoot guns at targets.

"Okay...your aim is improving, it's like you're a natural, but are you sure the gun is for you?" Harriet gently takes the gun out of my hand, pointing back over to the weapons section of our outdoor training wing, subtly suggesting that I take the weapon which best fits me. Perhaps that was her subtle way of saying she didn't trust me with a gun, but it was fair enough in her defence. 

Trotting towards the metal, folding table, I gently dragged my index finger along the dust-lined rim around the outer-right corner, collecting small particles of buildup as I stared at all of the different weapons with indecisiveness rimming around my eyes like fresh tears.  My eyes soon locked onto one of the larger, heavier weapons which I recognised to be an axe, one which was metal with small holes in the handle for a steady grip, accompanied with a curved handle shape, which I assumed was for throwing.