chapter one | where their hearts meet and the world collides around them

[ Edward's POV ]

As he walked towards the side road leading to the familiar house he had probably known most of his life, his light careful steps skidded and swished the snow beneath him.

Reminiscent curve of wooden plating entered his curious sight, small garden endowed with the favorite Petunia blooming at their beauty, the winter violas welcoming his presence with subtle tinge of snowy aroma.

His eyes reflexively found the spot where he spent most of his summer days playing King Vs Monster, where the childhood mind in an actual game would surely choose the girl to be the so called "miserable princess trapped in a dark palace"

But he somehow remembered how much he had to fight for his dignity when Emily wanted him to be the Trapped Princess instead while she would mount on a wooden horse and would do every worth in her power to come to his rescue.

He waited inside the rocky cave enlodged in an old mountain, which resided only few minutes away from her house, wondering how much he actually loathed the idea to be the miserable princess and so, at the last moment, he would choose to be the King from the neighboring state instead.

And then would begin the battle with the wooden swords. Which would soon end in the settlement leading to nowhere.

Because her mom would somehow decide to have her hand baked chocolate pie cake open for their treat in the middle of their last final battle. The same battle which he had been so confident of winning, if he wouldn't be so distracted with the extreme hot weather and the inviting glass of Iced Coffee Lemonade that her mom proudly displayed over the table sitting atop the greenest garden he had ever seen.

That still seemed very enticing.

The front window was open, its wings flapping softly against the breeze. From his place, he could make out a hazy outline of someone tying their hairs up into a fine hairstyle.

He could see her moving from one side of the room to other to seek her belongings in haste.

Seeing her after such a long time, even if it was just through a foggy window, seemed to excite and calm his nerves at the same time. He crooked his neck further to get a good look at her.

But it looked like she was still too faraway from his reach that he might never actually get a good look at her face again.

He swallowed the lump in his throat as his heart twisted painfully in his ribacge. There was no way he could deny how much he missed her.

But to see her this close to his needy eyes, knowing she wouldn't let him near her if she knew he was there looking at her up like this, it was indeed overwhelming for him to just watch her from outside.

Emily. His best friend. The girl from his childhood. The same teenager who grew up with him, and while he may say it all to himself that he doesn't acknowledge her gender as a threat to their friendship, it was all a blatant lie to say because deep down he knew how she bloomed into a beautiful swan before his flutting eyes.

Her beauty, the sparkling description of the very innocent qualities she possessed and her heart, as big and even bigger than her own self, would always continue to affect him no matter how much casual he might be, in his attitude with her.

And since it was so, he wondered if she would be willing to trust him enough, and again, to go through the toughest phase of their relationship, to mend their past, their friendship being torn in shreds now.

The door to the window was pushed open outside, and Edward hurried to hide himself from her. He set his palms straight on the wall as he now stood with his back facing the wall, his breath clearly quickening against the harsh cold that was beginning to make him feel dizzy.