Chapter 32

GRUFF

“Can we look at that one over there?” Anna points at what has to be the biggest tree on the lot. It is probably closer to twenty feet tall, I don’t even want to know the price.

“That one is definitely not going to fit in the apartment, Anna.”

She pouts her bottom lip and gives me her world-famous puppy dog eyes, “Please Gruff. We don’t have to get it, but it would make me sooooooo happy to go see it.”

Camila and Nico are on the opposite side of the row of trees and I can hear them both giggling. They know that I’m screwed right now. I know it too. I’m completely wound around this little girl’s finger. I can’t say no to her, even if I try, she just looks at me this way and I give in like the fool that I am. “Fine, we can go LOOK, but we cannot buy it. I’m not kidding either, Anna, it will NOT fit the apartment.”

“I just want to look! I swear.” She makes a cross over her heart and puts her hand out for mine. I grumble a bit before taking it. Hopefully, she understands what I’m saying because I cannot afford to buy a tree and then cut the damn thing in half to put it on the apartment. Even my wallet knows I’m full of shit though, I totally would.

Earlier this week, Anna and Camila began the two-front war about Christmas. My mom was putting up a fake Christmas tree in the front office of the shop when the two of them got back from some outing. Anna was so excited to help her put up the tree and decorate. She asked me that night when we were putting up the tree in the apartment and never was certainly now the answer she was looking for.

I was afraid she might start crying right then and there in the middle of the shop, but Camila was insistent that I was just kidding with her and we would be decorating. That was that. The problem was I haven’t decorated for Christmas since I split from Ash. She did the home decorating thing, I didn’t care about that shit. Mom put stuff up in the shop and we spent Christmas morning at their place where the holidays look like they threw up all over, but I didn’t even have a wreath to hang on the door.

Needless to say, the corner of the living room was cleared out for a tree and the master bedroom closet is full of bags of Christmas decor just waiting for a tree to be trimmed. I even suggested getting a fake tree, but that was blasphemy apparently also. So here we are, on a cold Sunday morning, at the local tree lot buying a tree. I might be acting grumpy and putting off the attitude that gave me my name, but I’m on cloud nine right now. Anything that makes my girls happy, makes me happy. Don’t tell them that though.

“Do you know the difference between these types of trees?” I ask Camila after I get back from looking at the world’s largest tree with Anna.

“Um, not really, but these noble firs smell a lot better than the Douglas ones.”

“Right, they’re also more expensive.”

She pushes against my arm and then loops her arm in mine, “Are you going to tell those sweet children over there that they’re going to get an inferior smelling Christmas tree because of cost?”

I glare down at her and she’s got a huge smile on her face. I sneak a kiss on her cheek and growl into her ear, “I hate you so much right now and you’re going to pay for this tonight.”

“Looking forward to it.” She begins to walk away, looking over her shoulder and biting on her bottom lip. I really am not trying to get arrested for indecent exposure in a tree lot, so help me Lord this hard-on needs to subside quickly.

One hundred dollars later, because of course, we needed a tree stand also, we’re finally home with a brand new Christmas tree. I poured a cup of coffee and take a seat at the kitchen table watching the three of them go to town decorating the Christmas tree. I even take out my phone and take a few pictures of them. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the joy in this moment, but now I have photographic proof when I’m older and grayer.