Chapter 9

GRUFF

“That’s not how you do it, Miss Hattie!”

When I opened the door to my apartment, I was surprised to find it looking so lively. Minus my brothers coming over every now and then, my apartment was usually void of guests and noise when I got home from work. Not today though. My little sister Hattie is sitting at the table with Anna. The two of them are using watercolors to paint. I already see some of their pieces of artwork that are drying. Nico was on the couch reading a book and my mom and Camila were chatting like old friends in the kitchen. 

“What’s going on in here?”

Camila put the lid back on the pot she was stirring and washed her hands. “Well, after they dropped off so many groceries, I mean way more than we needed, your mom and sister decided to join us for a bit. Your sister is an amazing artist.”

I wrap my arm around Hattie and kiss her on her cheek. “She is pretty awesome and we love her for it.”

Hattie shrugs me off, even though I know she loves the attention, “I was telling Camila that when they can, they should come down to the shop.”

“I wasn’t sure if it would be safe for us to leave just yet,” Camila replied with a hint of sadness back in her voice.

“Yeah, I’m not sure how long it’ll be. We’ll figure something out though.”

“Hey, until then I’ll just have to come to visit Miss Anna or have her come over to the house and she can play around in my studio there.”

“You have a studio in your house!” Anna looks at my sister in awe.

“Uh, not so much a studio as just an extra bedroom that wasn’t being used now that all the boys moved out. My mom is nice enough to let me make a mess in it.”

“That’s not fair, my mom never let me make a mess in my room.”

Camila scoffs, “Excuse me, missy, you do a very good job making messes without permission from me.”

“I’ll make a deal with you, Anna. Whenever your mom says it is okay, you can come to make a mess in my studio. I have a clay wheel and everything, it’ll be a blast.”

“Did you hear that, Mom?”

“I did, baby girl. We’ll talk about it with Gruff, okay?”

“Can I please, Gruff? Please, please????”

Anna had barely said any words to me and now she was giving me these big ole puppy dog eyes. I didn’t know what to do. I mean, my initial reaction was the to say and I didn’t even care what she was asking for. Hanging out with Hattie? Having chocolate cake? Getting her a pony? Jesus Christ, I would have said yes to anything she wanted just to keep that smile on her face and that happiness in her voice.

“Leave Gruff alone with that begging face, Anna. It isn’t fair to the poor guy!” Camila laughed as she ruffled her fingers through her daughter’s hair. She clearly knew how to handle those eyes and was well aware that I was in over my head.

Anna looks up at me again and smiles, “Sorry, Gruff.”

“All is forgiven. So, what do you have cooking, Camila, this is probably the best it has ever smelled in here.”

My mom coughed and then started laughing, “You can say that again.”

“Excuse me, Mother, but this place is pretty clean for a bachelor pad. Do you want to go visit Tate or Jasper’s place?” I throw my arm over her shoulder and force her to hug me.