Chapter 25

GRUFF

I know that Jasper is hurting, but Landry is like a little sister to me and if she’s excited about having a baby, then I’m going to be excited for her. Do I wish that it was with pretty much anybody other than Tristan? Yeah, that would be a truthful statement, but we don’t get to pick who our friends and family fall in love with. If that were the case, Maverick and Bellamy may never have ended up together before her dad wasn’t a huge fan of my brother. Not that I could blame Darren, Maverick wasn’t exactly the kind of guy I’d want Hattie to be with at first. Not until he got himself cleaned up.

I wrapped my arms around Landry and held her tight into my body, “Congrats, kiddo.”

“Thanks, Gruff. I know it was kind of unexpected, but here we are, ya know?”

I kiss her on the cheek, “Yeah, you’re going to be a good mom though, I know it. Did you tell Darren and your mom yet?”

She nods her head, “Yeah, Mom is happy, but you know.”

“Yeah, I get it.” I look over at Tristan who is talking with Bellamy. He has a smile on his face, but something still feels off with him. “And he treats you well, hon?”

“I know he doesn’t give off the best impression to you all, but I promise that isn’t what he’s like when it is just the two of us. He just gets nervous because he knows you all hate him.”

“We don’t hate him, we just don’t know him. He hardly shows up and when he does he’s usually trying to pick fights with Jasper,” she tilts her head and narrows her eyes in my direction, “Okay, fine they both pick fights with each other. It’s hard not to take sides, but you’re family, Landry, and if he treats you well and you love him then we’ll all come around, okay?”

“Thank you, Gruff. Do you think maybe you could just check on him?”

“I will before I leave, don’t worry.”

The house begins to empty and I know Camila is anxious to get back to our place, but I promised Landry I’d check on Jasper before leaving. He’s staying in his old bedroom since he still needs help with some daily things. I knock on the door and slowly open it, even though he doesn’t reply. Jasper is laying back in his bed messing around on his phone. He doesn’t even bother looking in my direction, “I’m fine.”

“Snapping at me is an interesting way to tell me that you’re fine.”

“She’s happy and she’s building a life and a family. It has nothing to do with me, she’s allowed to be happy.” I take a seat on the end of his bed, Jasper groans and tosses his phone down on the bed. “What?”

“All I’m going to say is that this changes things, okay? I know you have an issue with Tristen and I’m not telling you that you have to become his biggest fan, but it is different now. Like it or not, you can’t be picking fights and starting shit with the guy anymore. Landry is one of us and that means her baby AND her baby’s daddy are going to be part of the family too. Unless you want your attitude to push her away.”

“That’s not what I want. I just want her to be happy.”

“Well, she’s happy so…..”

“I get it. I’ll try, I’m not making promises, but I’ll try.”

“Do you need anything before we head out?”

He shakes his head, “No, I’m alright. I’m sure Mom will be here in a few minutes to stuff me full of food and make sure that I take all my meds.”