Chapter 2

CAMILA

"Mommy, I need to go potty."

I had been driving through the night and for the most part, both the kids were asleep in the backseat, but I started to hear them stir and knew it was only a matter of time before they'd wake up. They hadn't eaten except the small number of crackers that I had in my purse and I knew that they were going to need something of substance before too long. Anna was the first to wake up, whining about needing to use the restroom.

"I promise I'll stop at the next place I see, baby. Can you hold on for a bit longer?" I glanced back at her in the backseat.

"I'll hold it the best I can. I'm hungry too," she adds.

"I am too, Anna, I swear we will stop soon."

I wasn't sure where we were on a map and I didn't have a final destination in mind, I just kept following any sign that said Phoenix. I knew that Phoenix would give us a straight shot down to San Diego and that meant we were near the border. It had been more than a decade since I had been in any sort of contact with my dad's side of the family in Tiajuana, but maybe, just maybe, they could help us.

I began to see billboards for a stop in Globe, Arizona. Since it was the middle of the night, I was sure most of the places were going to be closed, but driving through town I found a Circle K that looked like it was well lit and in good condition. I pulled in front of the gas pump and grabbed some cash to stuff in my pocket. Nico and Anna were both up by now and the three of us walked together into the gas station.

"Good evening, ma'am," the older man working behind the counter tipped his hat at me. He looked very friendly and although I refused to ever judge a book by its cover, I did get really good at reading people's vibes and he didn't feel off to me in any way.

"Hi, sir. I promise that we're going to gas up and get something to eat, but we've been on the road for a very long time and really need to use the restroom."

"Of course! They are unlocked, just take a right after the fountain machine. Do you like breakfast sandwiches? I can put in from fresh ones for you."

I smiled at his kind heart. "That would be perfect. Thank you so much.'

The three of us made our way back to the restrooms. I was living in a paranoid state, so I opened each of the doors first to make sure they were in fact empty. "Nico, you can use the restroom by yourself, but you lock this door and do not come out until Anna and I are out as well, do you understand?"

He nodded his head at me, not saying many words. He hadn't spoken much since the moment he pulled the trigger. I gently reached up and brushed my thumb over the bruise on his cheek that he had received earlier in the night from his father. Nico winced in pain and it broke my soul even more. "I'm so sorry, son. I swear that I'll do everything I can to make sure this doesn't happen again."

"It's not your fault he's a bad man, Mom."

I wrap my arms around Nico and press a kiss against the top of his head. He has been through more hell in his ten years of life than any child should ever have to endure. I blame myself for not being strong enough to leave sooner. I just didn't know how to do anything. Without access to a car, a cell phone, or any money, I just didn't know what to do. Today is a different day though. I don't know what I'll have to do to protect my children, but I will fight like hell to do it.

"I love you so much, buddy. You are so strong and brave." I brushed back his hair and gave him another kiss, this time on his cheek, and sent him into the bathroom. Anna was just finishing up as I went into the women's restroom, but I locked the door when I went in and told her not to leave until I was done. With our bladders emptied, it was time to start doing something about our stomachs.